Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup is a big ol’ bowl of savory comfort on a brisk fall day. Studded with vegetables and chewy wild rice, this creamy soup will warm you from the inside out! This post is sponsored by Milk Means More and the United Dairy Industry of Michigan. All opinions are my own.
As I look out my window, I notice that the leaves on the trees have peaked in color and are beginning to litter the ground. We’ve come to my favorite part of the fall when the air is cooler, yet not frigid, and the leaves make a satisfying shuffle-crunch as you walk on them. Sunrise occurs around 9 a.m. and sunset happens before dinner time. Daylight savings time can’t come soon enough this weekend, if only to give us a few more hours of sunshine. Not to mention the inevitable giddiness of getting to sleep that “extra” hour! I loves me some extra sleep–even if it’s only it’s in my head.
The end of another soccer season is another marker that fall is in full swing, with winter not far behind. Son #1 and his team finished their Varsity season this past weekend earning Second Place in Division II Silver at the National Homeschool Soccer Championships in Evansville, Indiana. After a couple of weeks of 40-50 degree F temperatures at home, it sure was nice to bask in the warmth of the upper-70s. The warm sunshine also helped combat the other inevitable tell-tale sign of fall–the first cold of the season.
The ick began with me in our family, but soon ran through everyone else. It’s a seasonal gift that keeps on giving. All of us plodded through the stages of our heads weighing 50 pounds, and our energy levels going on temporary hiatus. Blech! The urge to sleep the day away while bingeing old episodes of The Office was strong. Everybody in our soccer circle either battled this cold or was still fighting it at the tournament last weekend.
Combine the Battle of the Ick with an 1100+ mile road trip and four intense soccer games in two days, and we were all ready to slow down and nurse ourselves back to health with a steaming bowl of Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup.
Usually I go for a face-melting hot bowl of Lemony Garlic Lentil Soup with Feta when it comes to banishing a cold. I’m convinced that the high level of garlic is a Snake Oil Cure of sorts. However, something about hot chicken soup feels so medicinal when the ick takes hold. Returning home bone-weary to air cold enough to see my breath makes me crave something heartier; a soup that’ll warm me from the inside out with creamy comfort.
Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup is the big ol’ bowl of savory comfort that I needed! Creamy, thick, and studded with vegetables and chewy wild rice, Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup is just the thing to chase away the chill on a brisk fall day. Best of all, it only takes a few minutes to toss everything into the slow cooker and let it do the work. Smelling the tantalizing aroma of Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup all day is medicinal in and of itself! Serving a hot bowl along with a simple Caesar salad and a heel of crusty No Need Cheddar Artisan Bread is the best medicine around.
Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup is so comforting!
Yields 6 to 8 Servings
Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is a big ol’ bowl of savory comfort on a brisk fall day. Studded with vegetables and chewy wild rice, this creamy soup will warm you from the inside out!
20 minPrep Time
8 hrCook Time
8 hr, 20 Total Time
- For the Soup:
- ¼ C. (4 Tbs.) unsalted butter
- 1 C. (1 small) chopped yellow onion
- 1 C. (2 small) sliced carrots
- 1 C. (1-2 stalks) thinly sliced celery (leaves included)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 C. dry wild rice
- 1 quart (4 C.) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbs. cooking sherry (optional)
- 2 C. 2% milk
- ½ C. all purpose flour
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 2 C. cooked chicken, diced
- For Serving (Optional):
- 1 C. Caesar style croutons
- ¼ C. shaved parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter in a skillet set over medium heat. Once the butter is melted and begins to froth, sauté the onion, carrots, and celery until they are noticeably brighter in color. Stir in the rice and garlic to coat in the butter mixture. Continue to sauté for an additional minute to toast the rice. Transfer to mixture to the crock of a slow cooker . Pour the chicken broth and cooking sherry into the crock.
- Whisk the flour, salt, dry mustard, pepper, and parsley into the milk until smooth. Pour the milk mixture into the crock. Add the cooked chicken and stir to combine. Place the lid on the crock and set the slow cooker to LOW heat. Cook for 6 to 8 hours or until rice and vegetables are tender.
- Garnish soup with a few croutons and sprinkle of shaved parmesan, to taste. Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is excellent served alongside a simple Caesar salad and slice of crusty bread.
To save time, all ingredients may be combined in the slow cook at once. However, the extra five minutes that it takes to sauté the vegetables and toast the rice abundantly enhances the flavor. I recommend not skipping the step when time allows. If the soup becomes too thick in the slow cooker, add additional broth to thin it out to your liking.
For more great slow cooker soups, try these:
Foodie Crush’s Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup
A Beautiful Plate’s Slow Cooker Winter Vegetable Soup with Split Red Lentils from A Beautiful Plate
A Spicy Perspective’s Slow Cooker Chicken Potato Soup
Kellie @ The Suburban Soapbox says
Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet says
Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes says
The Food Hunter says
Lauren Kelly Nutrition says
Alyssa | EverydayMaven says
Marlynn @ UrbanBlissLife says