Chocolate Cream French Silk Pie is a silky, smooth and creamy chocolate pie topped with lightly sweetened whipped cream and glorious milk chocolate shavings.
A few years ago when this here little blog was in its infancy, I went on a pie crust making bender. Shocking, I know. In my defense, when it takes less than five minutes to make two pie crusts, it doesn’t take much to go from “stocking up” to “overly ambitious” when making the dough. With a stack of freshly made pie crusts on hand, I whipped up a semi-homemade French Silk Pie on a whim. Seems reasonable, right? I mean, why would anyone fault me for making a semi-homemade pie?
Well, someone should have faulted me for thinking that taking photos with my Blackberry smart phone.
Under incandescent lighting.
What I’m trying to say is that I posted an easy recipe with horrid photos, yet for some reason, the collective Internet loves it. Of course it does. That’s like pouring salt in the wounds of my pie making ego because I’ve been meaning to share a chocolate cream pie recipe made from scratch for-seemingly-ever.
I’ve also been meaning to make that semi-homemade recipe again for the sole purpose of taking new photographs that may actually look appetizing. But the truth of the matter is that 99% of the times that I make a chocolate pie, I made this Chocolate Cream French Silk Pie from scratch. I prefer it to the semi-homemade version because it simply tastes better. The other 1% of the time? I make this Chocolate Peppermint Cream Pie for the holidays. The other recipe was just a whim that I thought would resonate with people that aren’t crazy pie makers like me that feel compelled to bake everything from scratch.
Although I hope that I can encourage most of you to try because a cream pie made from scratch is realatively easy and well worth the effort.
Homemade Chocolate Cream French Silk Pie is so luxuriously rich and creamy that I just can’t bring myself to “cheat” and use a boxed pudding mix for the filling. Chocolate Cream French Silk Pie is a silky smooth chocolate pie that feels like velvet in your mouth. Topped with lightly sweetened whipped cream and generous curls of milk chocolate, this is one pie that is not only decadent, but also easy on the eyes. It’s so pretty!
Chocolate Cream French Silk Pie is worth the extra effort to make from scratch.
I include helpful tips in the recipe instructions for achieving those big, glorious curls of chocolate to decorate the top of this pie. You can apply the same method to make chocolate curls for a variety of other desserts, too!