The past 48 hours have brought the usual eclectic adventures:
1. My 5 year old suddenly appeared with a huge chunk of hair missing out of his bangs. He insists that he didn’t cut his hair. He’s fairly sure that someone came into his room and did it while he was sleeping.
2. I baked and baked and baked. Big surprise, eh? The Gooey Butter Cakes were not the usual dessert that I’d bring to a party, but were a big hit!
3. My oldest son experienced a right of passage. He is old enough to babysit. He has been begging to watch over his brothers for years. This Saturday, we let him babysit 2 of his brothers for a few hours, while we were a few houses away (with the baby.) He was so earnest, conscientious, careful, and responsible. He was positively beaming when we came home. Today, he keeps bringing it up in casual conversation. “Yeah, it’s kind of cool that I’m old enough to babysit.” or “It’s kind of hard to believe that I’m finally old enough to babysit.” So cute.
4. I’ve been on a meatball kick. As in, I’ve been making various kinds of meatballs all weekend long. Several hundred of them, in fact.
5. This is what happens when you try to bake meatballs and forget to line the baking sheet, first. That’s what I get for trying to avoid pan-frying them in hot oil. Seeing as I am genetically predisposed to forget to wear an apron, hot oil has ruined more of my shirts than I can count. Next time I will be sure to line the pan with non-stick aluminum foil. And if you think for one minute that I didn’t chisel off some of that crispy deliciousness and eat it with a fork, you would be wrong.
6. All’s well that ends well, right?
7. Speaking of ending well, I experienced an amazing presentation about a company called Freeset, which is so, SO much more than just a company. They help women and girls escape the sex trafficking trade in India by teaching them to sew, and pay a fair wage along with health benefits and retirement. What an amazing ministry.
And the bags that they make are absolutely adorable!
I hope you all had a great weekend! Check back tomorrow for one of the meatball recipes!