Food Dork Fridays: Baking Pan Conversion Chart

Food Dork Fridays | Comfortably Domestic

I’m following a slight tangent in relation to food science, just long enough to share a very useful chart that I’ve had hanging on the side of my refrigerator for as long as I can remember. This handy-dandy chart outlines volume equivalents for various cake, loaf, tube pans, cupcake tins, pie plates, etc.

I can honestly say that I have no idea where the chart originated from. My own chart has been splattered with just about every type of batter known to man; over  the years I’ve made so many notations and adjustments that it is high time that I retyped the dang thing so that I can again have a legible copy on the ‘fridge.

Baking Pan Conversion Chart |

Is this cake pan conversion chart absolutely perfect? Well, I think so! I should note that since every brand of baking pan differs slightly, take this as my friendly little disclaimer that your results may be not be exactly the same as mine–but they should be darn-near close.

General Rules: When baking in a pan other than what is called for in a recipe, the baking time (not the temperature) will need to be increased or decreased based on the volume of the batter, in relation to the width and depth of the pans.

For example, let’s say I follow a recipe for an 8-inch round layer cake, but once the batter is made, I realize that my boys have absconded with my 8-inch round pans. Since the volume of batter remains unchanged regardless of the pans I bake it in, I can instead bake it in two 9 x 4 inch loaf pans.  I will, however, need to extend the baking time because the loaf pans have a smaller surface area and a greater depth than that of the round pans.

Wait. What?

A loaf pan is taller and not as wide as a round pan. Our FDF discussion on heat told us that convection currents cause batters bake from the outside in; so the batter, being denser in the taller pan, will take longer to bake than in the more shallow pan.

The opposite is true when using a larger or shallower pan than dictated by a recipe. If I were to follow a recipe calling for a 9 x 13 inch pan, but instead I decided to bake the batter in a half sheet pan, the half-sheet pan will bake the batter in less time than required by the 9 x 13, because the half-sheet is more shallow, with a greater surface area. Cupcakes will bake even faster for the same reasons.

A Word of Caution: While I’ve outlined volume equivalents for various baking pans, do not forget the important roll that leavening plays in the grand scheme of things. Extended baking times for deeper pans may mean that the leavening exhausts itself before the batter has finished baking–this can result in a cake that is beautiful around the edges with a sunken middle. Such an occurrence, while tragic, can sometimes be salvaged with a little creativity on the fly.

As a courtesy to my international readers, I’ve included a second chart with American to Metric Pan Conversions, as well. Love y’all!

Baking Pan Conversion Chart

Recipe Calls For:  Batter Volume: Can Be Substituted:
 1 (8-inch) round cake pan  4 cups 1 (8 x 4)-inch loaf pan, or1 (9-inch) round cake pan, or1 (9-inch) pie plate12 (standard) cupcakes
 2 (8-inch) round cake pans  8 cups 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans1 (9-inch) tube pan2 (9-inch) round cake pans1 (10-inch) Bundt pan

1 (11 x 7-inch) baking dish

1 (10-inch) springform pan

24 (standard) cupcakes

1 (9-inch) round cake pan  6 cups 1 (8-inch) round cake pan1 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pan1 (11 x 7-inch) baking dish18 (standard) cupcakes
 2 (9-inch) round cake pans 12 cups 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans1 (9-inch) tube pan3 (8-inch) round cake pans1 (10-inch) Bundt pan

2 (11 x 7-inch) baking dishes

1 (10-inch) springform pan

36 (standard) cupcakes

1 (10-inch) round cake pan 11 cups 2 (8-inch) round cake pans1 (9-inch) tube pan1 (10-inch) springform pan32 (standard) cupcakes
 2 (10-inch) round cake pans 22 cups 5 (8-inch) round cake pans3 or 4 (9-inch) round cake pans2 (10-inch) springform pans64 (standard) cupcakes
 9-inch tube pan 12 cups 2 (9-inch) round cake pans2 (8-inch) round cake pans1 (10-inch) Bundt pan36 (standard) cupcakes
 10-inch tube pan  16 cups 3 (9-inch) round cake pans2 (10-inch) pie plates2 (9-inch) deep dish pie plates4 (8-inch) pie plates

2 (9×5-inch) loaf pans

2 (8-inch) square baking dishes

2 (9-inch) square baking dishes

48 (standard) cupcakes

10-inch Bundt pan  12 cups 1 (9×13-inch) baking dish2 (9-inch) round cake pans2 (8-inch) round cake pans1 (9-inch) tube pan

2 (11×7-inch) baking dishes

1 (10-inch) springform pan

36 (standard) cupcakes

11 x 7 x 2-inch baking dish  6 cups 1 (8-inch) square baking dish1 (9-inch) square baking dish1 (9-inch) round cake pan18 (standard) cupcakes
 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish  15 cups 1 (10-inch) Bundt cake pan2 (9-inch) round cake pans3 (8-inch) round cake pans1 (10 x 15-inch) jellyroll pan

42 (standard) cupcakes

10 x 15 x 1-inch jelly roll pan  15 cups 1 (10-inch) Bundt pan2 (9-inch) round cake pans2 (8-inch) round cake pans1 (9 x 13-inch) baking dish

42 (standard) cupcakes

9 x 5-inch loaf pan   8 cups 1 (9 x 2-inch) deep dish pie plate1 (10-inch) pie plate1 (8-inch) square baking dish1 (9-inch) square baking dish

24 (standard) cupcakes

8 x 4-inch loaf pan  6 cups 1 (8-inch) round cake pan1 (11 x 7-inch) baking dish18 (standard) cupcakes
 9-inch springform pan  10 cups 1 (10-inch) round cake pan1 (10-inch) springform pan2 (8-inch) round cake pans2 (9-inch) round cake pans

30 (standard) cupcakes

10-inch springform pan  12 cups 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans1 (9-inch) tube pan2 (9-inch) round cake pans1 (10-inch) Bundt pan

2 (11 x 7-inch) baking dishes

2 (8-inch) round cake pans

36 (standard) cupcakes

8-inch square baking dish  8 cups 1 (9 x 2-inch) deep dish pie plate1 (9 x 5-inch) loaf pan2 (8-inch) pie plates24 (standard) cupcakes
 9-inch square baking dish  8 cups 1 (11 x 7-inch) baking dish1 (9 x 2-inch) deep dish pie plate1 (9 x 5-inch) loaf pan2 (8-inch) pie plates

24 (standard) cupcakes

American to Metric Baking Pan Sizes

8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan 20 x 20 x 5 cm
9 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan 23 x 23 x 5 cm
13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan 33 x 23 x 5 cm
15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan 38 x 26 x 3 cm
9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan 23 x 13 x 6 cm
9-inch pie plate 23 x 3 cm
1 1/2-quart baking dish 1.5 liters
2-quart baking dish 2 liters

Are my 9 X 5 loaf pans responsible for my sinking banana bread loaves? I thought perhaps it was a leavening issue, but I’ve tried many recipes with the same results…the outer parts are dry and the inner part is a sinking gloppy mess. If I cook it longer, the middle rises, but then the whole loaf is dry. HALP!

Such a bummer! I hate it when that happens. Based on the recipe, I have a few thoughts:

1) You might want to try upping the baking temp to 350 degrees F, rather than 325. I think the leavening in the bread is exhausted before the bread has finished baking. (I bake my banana bread in 9 x 5 pans at 350 for close to 50 minutes.)

2) Since your recipe is a converted zucchini bread recipe, I don’t think there is enough leavening in the recipe to finish the job, even at a higher temperature. Bananas are more dense than shredded zucchini, so I suspect that you need more lift to keep the bread from sinking. Keep the salt and baking soda measurements, and try upping the baking powder to 1 tsp. Check the bread after 30 minutes & tent with foil if it’s getting too brown. Continue baking for another 10 15 minutes before checking the center for done-ness. In my experience, poking the center of a quick bread or cake before it is near done will allow more air to escape the center, resulting in a depression in the middle.

Please come back and let me know if my suggestions were helpful. :)

• Alex says

Hi, I am going to be selling brownies commercially. Buyer says I should switch from square 8 1/2 by 8 1/2 pan when I get in the commercial kitchen to a half sheet pan to get large amounts.

Please tell me how to convert the square pan small recipe I have which they have approved for sale to both a 1/2 sheet pan (I think that is what he called it, it looks like a giant jelly roll pan) and a standard jelly roll pan which I have that is 10 by 15 by 1 and will be easier to get in and out of the ovens.

Thanks so much!

Congratulations on your new brownie business, Alex! If you refer to the chart, each pan listed includes the approximate volume of batter, and possible conversion options to various other pan sizes. If you don’t see the specific pans listed for each, find the pan that you are downsizing from or upsizing to and you should be able to do the math fairly easily to convert to multiple sizes. Since this is for a commercial venture, you’ll likely have to experiment a bit to discover the “sweet spot” with your particular recipe. Good luck! :)

2. Kevin says

If two 9″ round cake pans = 12 cups and one 8″ round cake pan = 4 cups, why isn’t the correct conversion for two 9″ round cake pans = three 8″ round cake pans???

Without seeing the recipe, I would think that you could substitute an 8-inch springform pan for the 6-inch pan. Just know that the cake will be shorter than if it were baked in the smaller pan, and you’ll likely have to decrease the total baking time.

when using the conversion chart (my cake calls for 9 x 13 and i have to use 2 9″ rounds), How do you determine the cooking time, I assume you maintain the same temp.(my original is an apple cake and calls for 325 for 30-40 min. help! Thx!

You do, in fact, maintain the baking temp outlined in the recipe. When I bake in different pans than are called for in the recipe, I err on the side of conservative when guesstimating that baking times. For your example of using a couple of 9-inch rounds instead of a 13 x 9 pan, I would bake down the bake time by 15 minutes, and work upward until the cake was done. I suspect your total baking time will likely land around 25-28 minutes. Good luck, Jay!

4. K. Lake says

If the recipe calls for an 8″ pan, and I use a 9″ pan, won’t the brownies be thin? How much time should I deduct from recipe?

The brownies made in the larger pan will be slightly thinner, but not so much so as to ruin the results. I’d start by deducting 8 to 10 minutes from the total baking time when using the larger pan, and adjust the baking time from there. I suspect that brownies will be done 5 to 7 minutes sooner when baked in the 9-inch pan vs. the 8-inch pan. Good luck!

5. Jennifer says

I have a cake recipe using three 8″ layer pans and want to use a large tube pan instead; they bake at 350 for 20 minutes. How can I adjust?

ThNk you!

Great question, Jennifer! Any time you are changing baking pan sizes, you have to use your best judgement when adjusting the baking time, as all ovens and pans are not equal in performance. For the sake of my answer, I’m going to assume that you are baking at 350 degrees F.

That said, as a general rule, when I go from using smaller round pans to a larger capacity tube pan, I start by doubling the stated baking time in the recipe, and work my way up if need be. Assuming that your recipe makes the 12 cups of batter that would fill three 8-inch pans, I would start by baking the same amount of batter in the tube pan for 40 minutes. If the recipe makes less batter, than the baking time would be a little less. I suspect that your baking time will end up being between 45-50 minutes or so for 12 cups of batter. Again, use your best judgement on that one. You can always bake the cake longer, but you can’t undo an overdone cake. :)

I do the reverse shen I’m going down from a 12 cup capacity tube pan to smaller round pans–meaning I’ll start by halving the baking time outlined in the recipe for the larger pan, and work my way upward if need be. When going from a tube pan to cupcakes, I start by baking them the fairly standard time for cupcakes, or 15-18 minutes.

I hope this helps! :)

6. Cecilia Caldwell says

I have a banana bread recipe that requires a 9×5″ pan and a cook time of 50 mins. to an hour. Volumetrically I would use 4 of the 5 23/32×3 7/16″ pans, is that correct? For how long would I cook them?

7. Sylvia says

Hello there. I found a lovely pan and bought it thinking it would be good for brownies: it is a masterclass 13′ brownie pan which says it is 13 x 8 but the inside dimensions are actually 12.5 x 6 5/8 and it is 1″ deep. It has rounded corners.
    My challenge is figuring out what it will do to a brownie recipe calling for an 8 x 8 pan as most of them do.
    Can you help, please?
    thanks so much for your advice.

Hello, Sylvia! You can prepare a brownie recipe for an 8 x 8 pan and still bake it in your 13 x 8 pan. The brownies will be thinner, so I would decrease the baking time by at least 10 minutes. Better yet, start checking the brownies at 15 minutes less than the baking time stated by the recipe, and work your way up incrementally until the brownies are done. OR you can use a brownie recipe that fills a 13 x 9 pan, fill your pan to a 1/2-inch depth, and bake the remaining batter in a smaller container. I’d also reduce the baking time and start checking your brownies about 10 minutes before the recipe states that they should be done. I have several brownie recipes here on Comfortably Domestic that fill a 13 x 9 pan. A few favorites are Salted Caramel Brownies – and Not Quite Rocky Road Brownies –

Best of luck to you!

• Sylvia says

Thanks so much. I made up the recipe using an 8 x 8 and it was good that I did because the batter rose very high. It was a no flour variation, using white beans, ricotta, and non sugar sweetener. It is quite delicious, and did shrink down again, but a shallower dish would not have worked. I like your idea of just filling the 13 x 8 x 1 pan to just a half inch – I will give it a try next time. Thanks again for the prompt and helpful response.

i actually have a question i found a pumpkin roll bar recipe that calls for a 9×13 pan that i really want to make but i wanna try and use a cupcake pans instead it says put 2/3rds the batter in the pan and dollip the rest at the end. how would i convert that to a cupcake pan

Without seeing the recipe, it’s hard for me to guess what the instructions are…

That said, if I were converting a cake recipe that had a filling dolloped over top, I would fill the cupcake tins half full of batter, dollop the filling over it, and then divide the remaining batter over top of the filling. According to my chart, you should yield between 36-42 cupcakes for a 13″ x 9″ x 2″ batter recipe. Depending on the recipe, cupcakes typically bake between 18-22 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Good luck, Tina!

Hi I wonder if you can help me I am making a fruit cake for my sons wedding I have found a recipie for a cake that says 12×9 tin but my son wants a round one and I dont know what size tin to use Thank you Louise

10. margy says

Hello, if I am making a Germany Chocolate Upside down cake and it calls for a 9 xx can I use a tube pan or bunt pan? Thank you

Great question, Margy! I’m glad that you clarified. You can use a bundt or tube pan instead of a the 9 x 13 pan called for in the recipe. Check it after baking it for the amount of time stated in the recipe for the 9 x 13 pan, then extend the baking time in 3-5 minute increments if necessary. You can always bake it longer, but you can’t fix an over baked cake. 😉

• margy says

Thank you for your quick response, I have another question pertaining to the same recipe if you don’t mind :) Since it is an”upside down” cake…What is the trick to getting all that gooey coconut, pecan first layer to come off smoothly when turning it upside down?

Thanks a million for posting these most helpful conversions. We’re at our beach house for the holiday weekend with limited supplies. I woke up early this morning wondering if I’d have to send my husband into town to find loaf pans for a banana, strawberry bread (with honey whipped cream) I’m making today. Instead I’ll be using my 9 x 13 glass pan for a double batch.

12. Eileen says

At almost 79 I am confused anyway! Recipe for Carrot Cake says bake in 2 8″ pans for 45-50 min. I want to bake in a 9 x 13 pan. How long do I bake it (it says to bake at 350 degrees.)

Great question, Eileen! To bake a carrot cake in a 13 x 9 pan at 350 degrees, I’d start checking the cake around the 28 minute mark. I’m guessing it will take 28-35 minutes in the 13 x 9 pan. Good luck!

13. sangeetha Balamurugan says

Hi,this is sangeetha from India,Iam not having a 9inch-length,5inch-Breadth and 3inch-height pan,instead i have a 8inch-L,3inch-B and 3inch height pan.Can i use with out any change in Baking time and temperature,please help me out on this.

Depending on the amount of batter, I’d say that yes you may substitute the smaller pan, Sangeetha. However, you will have to bake for a longer amount of time in the smaller pan. Good luck!

14. susan armstrong says

What size pie tin can I use in place of a 14″x 4″ tin. I refuse to buy such a special size!

• susan armstrong says

Since I didn’t hear back from you in time, I used a deep 9″ pie plate and just slightly increased the ingredients. It worked out very well. Thank you for getting back to me!

15. Linda C Castaneda says

I need your help!! I am making my first ever theme cake
    for a graduation party happening this Saturday.

I have a 10 x 15 x 3 sheet pan and plan on using boxed cake mix.and need to know…

How many boxes i need?

How to bake the cake?

I plan on baking it on Thursday, decorate on Friday and deliver it Saturday

I would appreciate your help asap pleaseeeeee. : )

Thanx, Linda

Eeek! I just saved your comment from the Spam folder, Linda. Sorry that I didn’t reply before your party. For a standard cake mix that yields two 9-inch cakes, you can fill one 10 x 15 x 3 pan. The cake will be thin like brownies with one box. Add another half box of mix, prepared according to directions, for a fuller cake. Do not exceed 15 cups of batter. As far as baking time goes…that depends on the directions on the cake mix that you are using and your oven calibration. I would guess that you’d bake it between 28-40 minutes or so at 350 degrees F. Start checking at the 28 minute mark, and use your best judgement from there.

16. susan armstrong says

Since I didn’t hear back soon enough, I used a deep 9″ pie pan and increased all the ingredients slightly. It worked out very well. Thank you for getting back to me.

17. Robert says

Ina Garten’s brownie recipe calls for a 12x18x1 pan but I’d like to scale the recipe down for a 9×13 one. My gut says 12×18 is a half sheet and I can simply halve the recipe size for the 9×13 pan. Is that right? And do I need to adjust the baking time?

Good questions, Robert! I typically tend to halve a half sheet pan recipe to fill a 13 x 9 pan. Since I don’t know what the original baking temperature and time as stated in the recipe, I can’t give you a guesstimated baking time, but you will have to shorten the baking time.