When a Slight Miscalculation Leads to Pi(e)

We’re about to explore the inner workings of my mind. Consider yourself warned, Friends. 😉

This probably won’t come as much of a surprise, but the majority of my day has been dedicated to baking. I know. Shocker. With Son #1’s birthday and Father’s Day happening on the same day this year, one might think that I’d be baking cakes a plenty for the weekend festivities–but one would be wrong. That would be far too logical, because naturally on a weekend which demands double the cake production, I would volunteer for a bake sale.

Because saying no to a volunteer effort is not my strong suit.

My time slot for the bake sale is first thing in the morning. I was told that cinnamon rolls were a big hit at the last one. So in addition to the birthday/Father’s Day cakes (that I have yet to bake,) I decided to bake a double batch of cinnamon rolls and a couple of cherry pies for the bake sale. The cinnamon rolls went swimmingly! The cherry pies…not as well. Since I was making 8-inch pies for the bake sale, I skipped my usual 10-inch cherry pie recipe because the math necessary to scale it down x 2 was making my head hurt. I instead opted to just double the filling for these cherry hand pies, and use that to fill the two smaller pies.

Sounds reasonable, right?

My first cherry pie of the summer!

I thought so too…except for the part where doubling the hand pie filling only filled one pie shell.

Sometimes it’s the simplest math that eludes me.

Now, you might be wondering why I just didn’t make cherry hand pies for the bake sale in the first place, as they are so easy and absolutely lovely for breakfast? That, my Friends, would have been too obvious. Apparently.

Instead, my filling miscalculation netted me an empty, unbaked pie shell. Poor thing looked awfully lonely. Sad, even. And if there’s one thing I know, it’s that when sad or lonely, chocolate is the answer.

Actually, chocolate is the answer for most things, if we’re being honest.

So, I doctored up a big box of brownie mix and poured it into the pie shell.

Can I just pause for a moment to say how essential an Emergency Box of Brownies is in my kitchen? Essential!

Then I gave the pie pan a good shake, and maybe a few taps to release the air bubbles before popping it in the oven for about 40 minutes.

Ta-da! The easiest Fudge Brownie Pie around! Or as I like to call it–the Bake Sale Save-of-the-Day.

So the next time you find yourself over-committed and in need of a quick and deliciously-decadent bake sale or pot luck offering, whip up this brownie pie.

And if you figure out how to say “no” when asked to volunteer baked goods…be sure to let me know your secret. 😉

Easy Fudge Brownie Pie

Makes One 9-inch Pie

1 unbaked, 9-inch pie shell

1 (19.9 oz.) box of good quality fudge brownie mix (not one with a syrup pouch)

½ cup water

1 egg

Powdered sugar for dusting

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Dump the contents of the brownie mix into a large bowl.
  3. Add the water and egg and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until well blended.
  4. Pour the brownie batter into the unbaked pie shell.
  5. Bake for 40 minutes, or until crust is golden, and brownie has puffed and the center is set.
  6. Cool on a wire rack and dust with powdered sugar before serving.

And that, my friend, is why you are a baking goddess in my book. It’s not always about fancy 12-layer cakes with fancy frosting flourishes. Sometimes greatness comes from thinking on your feet and being adaptable. I love that about you.

PS – Hey, how was it baking with a coonhound in the house? Did you have to push your cooling goods away from the edge of the counter? :)

Ha! So far, she’s stayed away from the counters and doesn’t beg for people food. Of course, now that I said that, she’s likely to eat my next pie left unattended. I did have a Dane eat an entire apple pie left cooling on the counter. I was a little confused when I came home because all I saw was a shattered pyrex pie plate on the tile, of which the shards were completely clean. Didn’t occur to me that she knocked the pie off the counter–I thought she somehow got another pie plate out of the cupboard & broke it because there was absolutely no evidence of pie or blood from the broken plate. Not only did she eat the pie, but she had the gall to burp apples in my face for the next few days. 😉

I have never been able to say no to baking for a bake sale. Sometimes I even volunteer without being asked. Having said that, I’ve never done so on a weekend that was both a family birthday and Father’s Day. Congratulations on the quick brownie pie! (But I must admit, my heart is with that cherry pie. Oh, how I love cherry pies.)

Glad to hear that you are right there with me donating baked goods to the masses, Beth. I don’t think I’ll over-commit like that again…until next time. Cherry pie is my favorite, too! I’ll have to post my (current) favorite recipe, soon.

Funny that you mention it, because the brownie pie didn’t even make it to the bake sale table–one of the volunteers took it out of my hands and bought it as I was unpacking my donations. :)

Yes! I love those industrial-sized boxes! Somehow having a couple boxes of brownie mix in my pantry makes me feel like I can tackle any last minute dessert requirements because you can do so much with them. And yes…dessert is a requirement.

Uhm SO MUCH BAKING!!! I can’t even fathom what the sink would look like in my house if I attempted half the recipes you did. Incredible. Bake on!

4. Not Inadequate says

I can’t believe you baked that much on TOP of everything else! Those cherry pies look AMAZING.

TH and Son #1 share a birthday!
    Since TH is out of town, though, I am holding off on the celebratory atmosphere; my plans are to bake a pie upon his return, as he’s not a fan of cake. I was thinking actually mini pies or tarts. Perhaps some strawberry-rhubarb hand pies are in order? Thanks for the idea!
    You are a brave soul; I have only participated in one bake sale and was terrified that things were gross (I didn’t stick around for people’s reactions).
    Fudge pie = brilliance!

Oh, yay! Great day. I knew I liked TH. If you do end up trying strawberry-rhubarb hand pies, I *highly* recommend draining the extra juices before filling the pastry because it can be a really runny pie, and the filling won’t cook long enough to “set” with the decreased baking time. Or better yet! Cook the filling on the stove top until it is very thick, then cool completely in the ‘fridge overnight before making the pies.

Or just ignore my unsolicited suggestions, because you really didn’t ask. 😉

6. cherylbarker says

I love miscalculations that lead to pie! :) And you already know how I feel about chocolate :) Sounds like a great weekend for you. My son-in-law Jake’s birthday was yesterday, too, by the way!

I’ve got some big news and a request for prayer posted on my blog right now. When you get a chance, come check it out! :)

You can’t go wrong with chocolate Kirsten. When you are in doubt or confused or unhappy just eat chocolate and everything will fall into place! Perfect pie!

1. Just so we’re clear, you put a brownie IN the pie. That is going to save my life someday.

2. We see the obvious solution and then we run the opposite direction, because that’s just how we roll.

9. theislandmom says

Okay, so I stuck around (see apricot post for context – and know that I just found a granola bar in my purse :)), and love your brownie pie idea. I have a recipe I’ve used several times w/ brownie mix from scratch, so I’ve always wondered about putting a box mix in the pie crust. Just curious however, about your comment about not using a mix with a syrup pouch. I don’t usually use those anyway, so maybe I’m missing the obvious. It certainly wouldn’t be the first time. 😉