The Quickie Raincheck is Definitely Worth the Wait: Homemade (Sun)Butterfingers

I’ve often been told that good things come to those who wait.  Never has the statement been more true than with homemade Butterfingerish candies.

Three ingredients + 30 minutes = Total Candy Bliss

Mary Quite Contrary Bakes’s version of homemade Butterfingers were lighting up Twitter a few weeks ago. Naturally, I had to investigate. Seems Mary saw the recipe on a food blog that she follows, and adapted it. That food blogger saw it from another blogger, and adapted it. That blogger saw the original recipe on the Taste of Home community forums.

This recipe gets around.  And boy, am I glad!

I’ve made no secret of my love for all things peanut butter. In fact, during my freshman year of high school, a friend and I ate a Butterfinger candy bar every day for lunch. Not with lunch, for lunch. We washed it down with a Diet Slice because we were watching our caloric intake. That was teenage dieting at its finest, my friends.

However, as you all know, my peanut butter intake has been nearly eliminated since half of my family, myself included, have been diagnosed with life-threatening peanut & tree nut allergies.  I have mourned the loss of peanut butter in my life. Mourned!  Consequently, I have purchased every nut-butter substitute on the planet in search of a palatable peanut butter replacement.  They were all awful!  Awful taste, awful texture, and/or awful after-taste. I had resigned myself to never again eat a peanut butter cookie, peanut butter cup, or a beloved Butterfinger bar.

That is until a friend told me about another product:

SunButter has been our saving grace in these peanut-free times. SunButter, made from roasted and ground sunflower seeds, tastes a lot like peanut butter, but even better!  The best part is that I have been able to successfully substitute equal parts SunButter for peanut butter in recipes.  I’ve been going a little overboard with this discovery.   I can make SunButter chocolate chip cookies, SunButter cups, SunButter buckeyes…you get the idea.

Hooray!

Homemade SunButterfingers are my latest adaptation of a peanut butter recipe using SunButter.  I’ll be honest–they are divine! So thanks to Mary Quite Contrary Bakes for sharing the recipe on Tasty Kitchen and making my Twitter friends salivate enough to tweet about it.

As for the rest of you–make these today!

You’ll need candy corn, SunButter, and chocolate chips. That’s it!

Line an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 inch baking pan with waxed paper.  As long as you have the waxed paper out, line a baking sheet with it, too. Set both pans aside for later.

Place the candy corn in a large bowl.  Try not to eat it all. You’ve got candy to make!

Unless of course you happen upon a defective piece of candy corn that only has two of the requisite 3 colors. Those are meant to be eaten.

Heat the candy corn on high heat in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until fully melted. I’ll be honest–I let the candy corn go for a minute at a time before stirring it. I’m kind of a rebel like that.

Once the candy corn is fully melted, fold in the SunButter and stir until completely incorporated. This is going to take a little muscle, but your efforts will be rewarded.

Spread the filling into the prepared pan, and pop it in the freezer for 20 minutes, or until very firm.

Meanwhile, pour the chocolate chips into a small bowl. Melt the chocolate in the microwave on high heat for 30 second increments, stirring in between, until completely melted.

Grab hold of the waxed paper, and lift the frozen filling out of the pan, setting it on a cutting board. Cut the filling into bite size bars with a sharp knife. I was able to cut 36 “fun size” bars.

Dip the bars into the melted chocolate. Gently turn them with a fork to coat, and then tap the fork with the candy on it against the side of the bowl to remove the excess chocolate.

I’ve always felt the term excess chocolate was kind of an oxymoron. As if there could be such a thing!

Place the coated candy bars onto the prepared baking sheet. If you are feeling extra fancy-pants, use some of the excess melted chocolate to drizzle pretty lines over the top of the bars. Or just eat the rest of it with a spoon. I won’t tell.  Refrigerate the candy for 15 minutes or until the chocolate is set.

I must say that the texture and flavor of these SunButterfingers are spot on in relation to their peanut-laden cousins. They do get a little soft once coming to room temperature, so I recommend keeping them in an air-tight container the refrigerator.

The Not-So-Fineprint: The folks at SunButter have no idea who I am other than a fan on Twitter. I have not been paid or compensated in anyway for my ringing endorsement of their product–it’s just so good that I had to tell you about it.  All opinions are my own. Obviously.

Homemade SunButterfinger Candy Bars

(Adapted from Mary Quite Contrary Bakes, and Taste of Home)

Makes 36 Mini Candy Bars

16 oz. Candy Corn

16 oz. Creamy SunButter (Not the Natural or Chunky varieties)

3 cups Milk or Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

Line an 8×8 or 9×9 inch square pan with wax paper.

Melt the candy corn in the microwave in a large bowl on full power, for 30 seconds increments, stirring in between, until fully melted and smooth. (From 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.) Stir in the Creamy SunButter until fully incorporated and smooth. Spread the filling into the prepared square pan and level the top with a spatula.

Place the square pan in the freezer for 20 minutes, or until very firm. While you’re waiting for the bars to firm up in the freezer, line a large baking sheet with wax paper. Then, melt the chocolate chipes in a small bowl in the microwave on full power, in 30 second increments, stirring between, until they’re completely melted and smooth.

Once the filling is very firm, remove the pan from the freezer. Use the edges of the waxed paper to lift the filling out of the pan, setting it onto a cutting board. Cut the filling into mini sized candy bars. I cut the bars 4 across one way, and 9 across the other to get 36 bars.

Dip each bar into the melted chocolate, turning gently with a fork to cover completely. Take the bar out of chocolate with the fork and tapping the fork lightly on the side of the bowl to remove the excess chocolate. Place the chocolate coated bars on the wax paper lined baking sheet. Continue until all the bars are dipped. (If at any time the chocolate becomes too hard to dip, return it to the microwave and heat for another 10-15 seconds and stir until melted again.)

After all the bars have been dipped and set on the baking sheet, place them into the refrigerator for 15 minutes, or until chocolate is set. For best texture, serve chilled, and store SunButterfinger bars in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.

Comments

YES!!! YES, YES YES!!!
    I’m so excited you made these (can you tell?).
    I was hoping they’d live up to our expectations, what with all the Twitter buzz over this recipe. Yours turned out perfectly lovely. Now I have to find a bag of candy corn. Pronto!

I’m dying – they’ve been on my mind and heart since Jeanne passed that link on FOREVER ago. I’m thinking I might have to make a baking day of these and homemade Reese’s Eggs. Depraved? Yes. Perfection? Also yes.

Butterfingers are so yummy — glad you were able to find a peanut butter substitute that helped you adapt the recipe for your family. Have never heard of melting candy corn. Wonder how many I would eat before getting them melted? :) These look amazing, by the way!

Sadly, the candy corn is out for us. Even the nut free ones have egg &/or soy. I may try to substitute the candy corn with the fondant style, marshmellow, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. I bit sad these didn’t work out for us since I LOVE butterfingers.

Luckily there are no PA/NA people in my family (just shellfish) but having said that, I think it’s wonderful that this sunbutter looks and taste very similar (if not better) than peanut butter. I think your bars look delicious and I’m betting that your son is pretty darn happy that you tried this recipe.

6. Cynthia says

Were you able to let your child with the peanut allergy eat these??ALL the Candy Corn I have found ,states that it was manufactured in a facility that uses peanuts,therefore my granddaughter with a peanut allergy cannot have these.:(
    Thank you for the recipe though,for others!

7. Debbie R says

I was lucky enough to find nut-free candy corn at my local CVS. I did run into a couple of issues with the recipe, and I’m wondering if anyone can tell me where I went wrong.

First — and I can’t say I wasn’t warned :-) — it was awfully hard to mix the SunButter and melted candy corn.

Second — my bars fell apart the second they came in contact with the melted chocolate. The chocolate did seem a little thick for dipping.

I did use the “natural” version of the SunButter. Could this have been the cause of either of my difficulties?

Regardless, I bet my messy clumps of pseudo-Butterfingers will taste much better than they look.

Yes, it is definitely an arm work-out to get the SunButter incorporated into the melted candy corn. 😉 Hmmm…I love a recipe riddle. Did you freeze your bars for at least 20 minutes before dipping them in the chocolate? The bars have to be very firm and very cold. If that isn’t the problem, then I wonder if the “natural” SunButter has a higher oil content? Or maybe the issue could be with the oil separation because it is not emulsified/stabilized as it is in the Creamy version of SunButter?

• Debbie R says

I did leave the bars in the freezer for over 20 minutes, probably just about 35, actually, because one of my kids had the nerve to call and ask to be picked up from his afterschool activity. 😉 Can you over-freeze the bars?

It certainly is possible that the problem was the natural version of the Sunbutter; I stirred it up, of course, and the oil didn’t appear to be separated at that point, but as you point out perhaps there’s simply a different quantity of oil in the natural variety. I would have used the normal variety had it been available to me, since that was what you used, and I’m not one to substitute ingredients the first time I try a recipe, but I simply don’t have a local source of SunButter that offers the non-natural variety.

In any event, they taste quite good, and the inside is very, very much like real ButterFingers. The main difference was that they didn’t stick in my teeth quite as much as the real thing, a definite plus! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Ha! Now I’m the one laughing because I prefer the Natural SunButter, but I was out, and my case shipment from Amazon hadn’t arrived, so I had to buy it at our local store. The local store only carries the Creamy SunButter, so that’s what I used for the recipe. Now I know what would have happened if I would have used my usual Natural version. 😉 Now that I think more about it, I’m guessing the oils in the Natural butter separated in the freezer, which tends to happen whenever I freeze or refrigerating something with natural oils. I’m glad that the crumbly bits were tasty. :)

I can’t tell you how much I want to try SunButter after hearing you sing its praises. Also, these look like they’d be fun to do with the kids, especially at this time of year.

9. Carrie says

My first ones are in the fridge. I have no idea how you got 36 out of a single recipe though. I got 15. That’s ok. My boys are SO excited to try them!

10. rainjerette says

Woo Hoo! I will try these for my daughter. We buy sunbutter from Trader Joe’s all the time ( I keep a stash hidden as we run out frequently) and love it!

I’m adding these to my list of goodies to make for Christmas! I use to diet like that too when I was in school. My diet consisted of a doughnut for breakfast and a soft pretzel with a diet Pepsi for lunch. I wish I were my high school weight today :)

Trackbacks