One of the easiest appetizers around makes great use of any leftover Corn & Avocado Salsa that didn’t get gobbled up with the Asian Inspired Flank Steak. No leftovers? No problem! Make the salsa specifically for snacking on crostini.
Start by grabbing the leftover Corn and Avocado Salsa, or by making a fresh batch.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F). Slice a baguette into 1/4 inch slices.
Place the baguette slices onto a baking sheet, and brush each side of the bread with olive oil.
Sprinkle on a pinch of kosher salt, then bake for 3-5 minutes, or until the bread is nicely toasted.
Rub a peeled clove of garlic over the toasted bread to add a touch of flavor.
Spoon a little Corn and Avocado Salsa on top of each piece of toasted bread, and serve immediately.
Corn and Avocado Crostini
1½ C. fresh (cooked) corn, or thawed frozen corn
1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
2 small tomatoes, diced (about 1 to 1 ½ C.)
½ C. finely diced Vidalia or other sweet onion
1 Tbs. fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 lime (about 2 Tbs.)
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
¼ tsp. ground cumin
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 loaf French Baguette
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 clove garlic, peeled
- In a medium bowl, combine the corn, diced avocado, tomatoes, onion, and cilantro.
- Pour in the fresh lime juice, rice vinegar, and olive oil. Stir.
- Sprinkle in the cumin and cayenne, and stir well.
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. I don’t recommend refrigerating the salsa for much longer than 30 minutes, or the avocado may start to brown.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Slice a baguette into 1/4 inch slices. Place the slices onto a baking sheet.
- Brush both sides of the bread slices with olive oil, then sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes, or until bread is nicely toasted.
- Rub a peeled clove of garlic over each piece of toast to add a little more flavor.
- Spoon a little salsa over top of each slice, and serve immediately.