The Only Other Frosting You’ll Ever Need: White Chocolate Buttercream

I realize that I told you once that I had a recipe for The Only Frosting You’ll Ever Need. I even went so far as to claim that you’d never need to make another frosting ever again for the rest of your life.

A bold assertion, I know.

However, I’ve been on a buttercream recipe development jag lately, and my primary focus has been on different cake and frosting pairings.  I have volunteered to Guest Post on Frosting for the Cause, in an effort to do my part in raising money for cancer research. Of course, I want offer up something really special for such a great cause.  Something perfect to go with a story of one of the ways cancer has touched my life.

Unfortunately, my cake efforts are not quite right, but I’m getting close. And I’m going to be a little obnoxious and make you wait for the story that inspires these efforts until it appears on FrostingForTheCause.  (August 16, 2011!)

My failed persistent recipe efforts have yielded a bright spot–a wonderful white chocolate buttercream–which I will boldly proclaim to be The Only Other Frosting You’ll Ever Need–White Chocolate Buttercream!

Yeah. It’s that good.

Start by chopping up some good quality white chocolate, and putting it into a microwave safe bowl. Baking chocolate is fine, but under no circumstances should you use white chocolate chips or candy melts. The waxy coating that helps the chips/melts keep their shape will do weird things to the frosting.

Pop the bowl full of chopped white chocolate into the microwave, and heat for 30 seconds on 60% power.  Stir. Continue heating in 30 second increments, and stirring afterward, until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Set the bowl aside so that the chocolate can cool.

Place the softened butter into a large bowl. Sift the powdered sugar and a pinch of salt over the butter, then cream it together with a hand mixer set on low speed for about 3 minutes, or until it gets fluffy.  Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.

Pour in the heavy cream and vanilla, and mix well.

Fold in the melted (but cool) white chocolate, stirring until just incorporated into the frosting.

Increase the mixer speed to high, and whip frosting for an additional 3 minutes to whip it up nice & fluffy like–the resulting frosting is a very sweet, creamy, and medium consistency wonder that goes with just about any flavor of cake.  At this point you can thin the frosting with more cream to use as a filling for cupcakes or sandwich cookies, or add more powdered sugar to stiffen it up a bit more for use as decorator icing.

Choose your favorite frosting application, and run with it!  I am partial to the cupcake application.  I’ll tell you about these little cups of love a little later.

Whipped White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Yield about 3 cups

1 C. unsalted butter, softened

2 ½ C. powdered sugar (or more, depending on desired consistency)

Pinch of salt

6 oz. good quality white chocolate, chopped (NOT white chocolate chips or candy melts!)

¼ C. heavy whipping cream

¼ tsp. vanilla extract

1. Put the chopped white chocolate into a small bowl. Heat the chocolate in 30 second increments in the microwave set to 60% power. Stir after each increment, and continue to heat 30 seconds at a time, until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside and allow to completely cool.
  2. Once white chocolate has cooled, sift the salt and powdered sugar over the butter, in a large bowl. Cream the butter and sugar mixture together until light and fluffy, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
  3. Measure the whipping cream into a cup, and stir in the vanilla extract.
  4. With the mixer running on low speed, gradually pour the cream mixture the bowl.
  5. Once the cream mixture has been incorporated into the frosting, fold on the melted (but cooled) white chocolate until incorporated.
  6. Increase the mixer speed to medium-high, and beat frosting for an additional 3 minutes.
  7. Makes about 4 cups of frosting.

This makes a medium consistency frosting, which is very spreadable and creamy.

• For a stiff decorator frosting: add more powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time, until desired consistency (about another cup or so.)
  • For a thinner consistency to fill cupcakes or sandwich cookies, add about ½ cup less powdered sugar.

I swear by the use of my heavy whipping cream in frostings now that I used it in my Bailey’s Buttercream. It just transcends all other frostings. Can’t wait to hear your Frosting for the Cause tribute – what a fab cause. :)
    And PS – This sure does look like the only frosting I’ll ever need, thanks Love!

Your food photography has been looking really good lately! I’ve been working on mine…I think I need to permanently steal Jonathan’s DSLR camera.
    I also have the “Plate to Pixel” in my Amazon cart. Hopefully that will help.
    OH, and the frosting doesn’t look too bad either ;).

Thanks, Mads! I was feeling very Bon Appetit-ish when I took those shots. Some days I am inspired & carefully set up shots, or some days I’m on a mission & throw stuff in front of the camera. My amazon copy of Plate to Pixel just shipped! I’m very excited. Jonathan has a DSLR camera? I thought that was *your* DSLR? Didn’t Josie give it to you from Mother’s Day or something? 😉

I really like idea of this. My kids really love chocolate frosting, but it doesn’t look great when I try to decorate their birthday cakes, for instance, and would like more of a contrast between the decorative elements and the frosting background. This way, they can get some of their chocolate fix in but still have a lighter-colored frosting for “event driven” cakes and cupcakes. Thanks!

I never thought to use it in place of regular chocolate frosting–great idea! Give it a try, and let me know what you think. The white chocolate gives a more subtle flavor than straight-up chocolate.

BTW–when you use terms like “decorative elements” you betray your insistence that you are not a cook. 😉

Well, I do bake. Baking involves chocolate, and as you can see, I’m always looking for ways to incorporate more of it into my life. Although I must confess, the “chocolate on chocolate” birthday cakes and cupcakes my kids always request are almost a little too (Dare I say it?) chocolatey, so when I saw your frosting recipe, I thought maybe this could work to lighten up the chocolate a little as well as the decorative advantages. Just an idea.

I figured as such. I totally agree with the chocolate-on-chocolate cake being a bit much. I like the idea of the putting white chocolate frosting on a chocolate cake. I will be trying that, as well. :)

Lady, I am LOVING the pictures that go with this (especially those beaters in the background! I’m sure that once I’ve tasted this for the first time, I too, will be willing to forsake All Other Frostings.

5. Julie Jendrasiak says

I made this frosting for my husbands birthday cake this past weekend! It was absolutely awesome, velvety goodness! It was funny as I was reading your blog and read over your first frosting recipe, it is identical to the cream cheese frosting I have been makings for years. So there was an instant trust and kinship I have for you. I did not have any decorators vanilla so I swapped almond extract, turned out great. Keep up the great work!
    -Julie J

6. Anne Hinson says

Wow! This looks amazing! I’ve been searching everywhere for the perfect frosting for my husband’s birthday cake next week. I have a question though, people are gonna think this is weird but……. I don’t have a microwave nor a double broiler to melt the chocolate in. I’ve always just made Ganache and I’m trying to tweak the directions here to work with what I have but I can’t seem to figure it out. Does anyone have any pointers?

You can make your own double-boiler by placing a Pyrex, or heat-proof bowl over top of a large pot of boiling water. (Make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water.) Put the chocolate into the bowl, and stir until the it has melted completely. Be careful not to get even a drop of water into the chocolate, or it will “seize” and clump up, and you’ll have to start over. (That’s never fun. 😉 )

White Chocolate Buttercream will stay fresh for a few days if kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Bring it to room temp and stir before using. If using it as a filling, I wouldn’t go more than 2 days, and keep the cake refrigerated in an airtight container. Bring the cake to room temp before serving. :0

This looks delicious! Do you know how it would hold color? I want to use this as a cupcake frosting and thought of maybe coloring it with black cherry juice concentrate. I thought cherry with the almond extract instead of decorator’s vanilla would be a tasty combination. :)

Great question! I’m not sure that I would attempt to color this frosting due to the high white chocolate content. White chocolate has a lot of oils in it, and sometimes reforms in tiny, soft ribbons in the finished frosting after chilling, so I’m not sure if the color would fully permeate? Might be worth a try with a cake that is not for a special occasion first. :)

9. Andrea says

Hi, I am making a white chocolate mud cake for a wedding and would like to frost it with this delicious sounding recipe of yours. Would I be able to ice it the night before the wedding? Will I need to put it in the fridge after icing it and if so, will the icing melt (or go funny…can’t think what I actually mean here) once it’s taken out of the fridge? I am going to do rose swirls all over the cake. Thanks!! :)

Hi, Andrea! I think this frosting would be wonderful on a white chocolate mud cake. I would make it a bit stiffer than normal, though, since you are using it as a decorator icing. (The frosting is a medium consistency, so I would beef it up a bit with another 1-1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar per batch.) You could certainly ice the cake the night before the wedding. I would put the cake in the fridge after icing it to firm it up even more, which will also help keep everything together when you transport the cake. I don’t think you should have any trouble with the icing melting, so long as the cake is kept out of direct sunlight, and the outside temperature isn’t too warm. If the outside temp will be greater than 70 degrees F, then I would keep the cake refrigerated until around 2 hours before you eat it.

Good luck, and please let me know how it all turned out! :)

10. gordielle says

Hey I only found white chocolate chips @ my local supermarket. Why is it bad to use the white chips on the frosting? I’m still gonna try to do this with the chips…

I find that white chocolate chips change the texture of the frosting. White chocolate chips contain wax to help them maintain their shape when heated; the melted chips will incorporate into the frosting, but you may end up with tiny, hard bits of white chocolate if the frosting is refrigerated. Good luck.

Hello, Mary! The frosting can be stiffened to use as decorators frosting for piping, and then will form a soft crust after sitting at room temperature. You will have to add around another 2 cups of powdered sugar to reach a firm consistency. Hope that helps! :)

11. Zoe says

This frosting is AMAZING! I’ve just used it to frost 100 cupcakes, plus a 8 inch/7 layer cutting cake for a wedding. When the bride said she wanted white chocolate, I was a little nervous – but this recipe is incredible.

While carefully *ahem* following the instructions and doubling the recipe, I didn’t double the powdered sugar. It turned out beautifully fluffy, soft, sweet and luscious. With the full amount of sugar, I can imagine it being very sweet. Instead, I got a subtle chocolate hit, with a mix the PERFECT consistency for piping swirls onto the cupcakes.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Hooray! Zoe, you made my day! I am thrilled to hear about your white chocolate buttercream success! Thank you so much for trying my recipe–especially with such an important event as a wedding. :)

12. penny says

Thank you thank you thank you for this recipe! I have made it three times and each has been perfect. Perfect consistency, perfect taste and perfect because it’s so darn easy. Yum-a-licious!

13. Brooke says

I have made this twice and while it tastes spectacular, both times I end up with little hard bits in it. I am using 6 oz. of the Merckens white melting wafers and letting it cool as it instructs in the recipe. Any ideas?

Hello Brooke! Thanks for the feedback! Merckens candy melts contain wax to give the melted chocolate a shiny finish once it dries/re-hardens, without having to “temper” the chocolate to get the proper sheen. I suspect that the little hard bits in your frosting are a result of the wax in the chocolate. Chocolate chips will do the same, as they also contain wax to help them retain their shape while baking. Next time try using white baking chocolate, or good quality white chocolate bars. I have great results with Baker’s brand white baking chocolate. Hope this helps! :)

14. Susie says

Will fondant stick to this recipe? I need to make a cake and would love to use this icing but I have to put a 3 1/2 – 4 inch piano key border made of fondant around it. How will this work? Thanks

Gosh Susie, I’m really not sure–I haven’t used fondant with this recipe. The frosting made as directed is soft & fluffy. I do know that if you add an additional 1-2 cups of powdered sugar, it will stiffen to a decorator’s consistency & form a “crust” once it sits. You do lose a bit of the white chocolate flavor when doing so, though. Hope this helps. :)

15. Mary says

I need to ice approx 120 cupcakes for my daughters 21 next weekend. I love this reciepe but an concerned that the icing will melt as we live in queensland and the temp here is in its 30. Also how do I transport the cupcakes without having the icing melt.

Great questions, Mary! Here’s my best answers:

1. Given that your temps are in the 30’s C, that’s roughly 86 F…or HOT! Weather that hot isn’t good for any icing in the long term. 😉 Your best bet is to put the frosting in quart sized Ziploc freezer bags, (or quality equivalent,) refrigerate them, and transport them to the party in a cooler with ice. Once at the party, knead the frosting for a minute in your hands, snip off a small corner of the bag, and pipe the icing on the cupcakes on-site. (The Ziplock serves as a piping bag.)
      2. Personally, I transport cupcakes in airtight Tupperware containers, and always refrigerate (or freeze) them first before travelling.
      3. The frosting recipe as written will generously frost 18 cupcakes when done with a piping bag in big swirls on top. I can frost 24 if frosting I uses less icing and apply it with a knife.

Hope this helps! Happy 21st to your daughter! :)

16. Sherrie says

I’ve never made icing from scratch before. I just tried this and it is delicious!! I put it on your raspberry filled cupcakes (to which I added almond extract to the batter) and these cupcakes are the best I’ve ever had. They beat grocery store cupcakes any day of the week. Thank you for this easy yet delicious recipe!

Hooray, Sherrie! I am thrilled to hear that not only did you make my cupcakes, but that you chose my buttercream for your first from scratch icing. The almond extract would be an excellent addition to the yellow cake/raspberry combination. Well done! :)

17. Jacqui says

This icing looks amazing and I am wanting to use it on white choc mud mini cupcakes. Great advice on making the consistency thicker for decorating.

As I am an Aussie, I’m just checking whether the ‘C’ means cup? And as our cups are very slightly different from yours, do you think there would be an issue using those conversions?

Thanks :)

18. Breinna says

This frosting sounds so delicious! I would like to make it this weekend for my dad’s birthday, do you think I could tint it with gel color paste? Also, after I decorate the cake, does it need to be kept in the refrigerator? What if it has a little bit of fondant on it, will the fondant get messed up if I put it in the fridge?
    Thank you so much for your help!

Hello, Breinna! Lots of questions, so here goes:
      1. I’ve never colored this frosting, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work with gel color paste–provided you only use *top quality* white chocolate (as stated in the recipe) and not white chocolate morsels–and also be sure that the melted white chocolate has cooled completely before adding to the frosting. The morsels contain wax, which will clump & not color properly in the frosting.
      2. I recommend refrigeration until about 30 minutes before serving. The cake can sit out for several hours, provided it is not too hot or humid where you are located. Directions are included in the recipe to make decorator’s consistency frosting, so making grass should not be a problem. Use your best judgement on how much additional confectioners sugar you will need depending on temperature/humidity in your area.
      3. I’ve never refrigerated a fondant wrapped cake, so I’m afraid that I can’t answer that question.

Please let me know how your cake turns out! Happy Birthday to your Dad! :)

19. Lo says

Hi. This recipe sounds awesome. I am doing key lime cupcakes and wanted a decadent frosting for them. I usually do a key lime cream cheese frosting on these that’s been extremely popular. Since you are a baking goddess, I am wondering. . .do you think adding a splash of key lime juice to this frosting to give just a hint of the flavor would taste ok? Also, do you have a recipe for a Bailey’s flavored buttercream? Thanks for all of your amazing recipes!

20. Anne says

I am making many cupcakes for my sons graduation. Can this frosting be frozen? I have frozen other buttercream and cream cheese frostings many times and they defrost perfect. I usually defrost by opening up and defrost in open air and then refrigerate until served.

Great question, Anne! I often freeze buttercream also, but I’ve never frozen white chocolate buttercream. Personally, I’d be leery of freezing this frosting because of what the process may do to the white chocolate.

21. Jesse fox says

I absolutely love this recipe!! It’s been my go to now for weeks since discovering it! I have a silly question though…I am making a construction cake for my 3 year old and I want the frosting to be a dark brown, could I use this recipe with a dark chocolate to get a brown color? I know that’s silly since its called white chocolate buttercream. But I’ve used Wilton’s chocolate buttercream recipe in the past and wasn’t thrilled with the flavor or consistency. Thank you!

22. TheHappyChef says

Wow! I am so glad that I stumbled onto your website! This might be the winning, wedding cake frosting (*it already is in my books!). Yay!

23. Rochelley says

I’m so glad I stumbled across this recipe. I’m making a caramel and choclate cake for my brother’s graduation and would love something different besides the typically buttercream. I’m decorating the cake, so can the frosting be tinted and can I sub crisco for the butter. Lastly, how well does this pipe for roses and stars? Thanks!

Great questions! The frosting can be tinted if you use top quality white chocolate and not morsels, melts or anything else with wax included. You could probably substitute shortening, but it will change the flavor and consistency. The recipe includes instructions for decorator’s consistency frosting, but since I’ve never made it with shortening, you might need to play with the final amount of powdered sugar necessary if you do. Good luck!

24. Angela says

It’s quite difficult to find heavy whipping cream in my country. Is there any substitute I can use or just to forgo the heavy whipping cream all together? Hope to hear from soon please

Hi Angela! The only other substitute for heavy whipping cream I would use would be Half & Half–which is half cream and half whole milk. The heavy cream is what adds body to the frosting when whipped. Otherwise, I would use the fullest fat milk that you can find, but you may have to play with the powdered sugar ratios to get close to the proper consistency of the whipped frosting. Good luck!

25. Katie says

I checked through the other comments to see if you had alread answered my question… and didn’t see it. Hoping you can help me out. How many total cups of frosting does this make? I’m making a big cake for my friend’s bridal shower, and totally want to use this recipe; just need to know how many times I’ll have to double it.

26. Kristin says

How sturdy is this frosting? Other white chocolate frostings I have found use a cream cheese base, but I am a little bit of a purist and would love to go with a buttercream if you think it can handle a wedding cake application!

Hello, Kristin! This is a very soft & fluffy frosting when made according to my recipe. I did include instructions to make a stiffer decorator frosting for piping decorative edges. That said, I have never made the frosting with a wedding cake in mind, but I have received several comments/emails from sweet readers letting me know that they did so with great success. Personally, I would use the stiffer decorator version of this for a wedding cake only if I had adequate access to refrigeration to keep the decorated cake/frosting very cool until around 30 minutes before serving, and only in a well air-conditioned venue. Heat & humidity could cause problems. Good luck!

• Kristin says

Thanks Kirsten, I love your blog! Have you done any wedding cakes or things which require more sturdy decorating? Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks so much, Kristin! Gosh, I’m hardly a cake decorator, but I do like to play with frosting. 😉 I haven’t done any wedding cakes, but I have done cakes with more sturdy decorating required. My best advice is to first take a few decorating classes to learn proper techniques. You can also find great tutorial from the many, many cake decorating blogs around. My very favorite is A couple of other good places to start are:,, and In my opinion, the hardest part of decorating is getting the proper consistency for your frostings on a regular basis, and keeping the cakes cool once decorated. So much just takes practice. Grab some waxed paper, frosting, and piping bags/tips and play, play, play until you are consistent. Have fun!

27. Lisa says

I made this frosting to go on red velvet cookies and cupcakes, and it was divine! The pastries really were just a vehicle for the frosting… My coworkers went crazy over it. It was nearly as light as whipped cream and it didn’t crust. I piped it on at the office and it was so much easier than worrying if the melting frosting would slide off the cupcakes! Thanks for the great recipe (and the tips)!

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I made it earlier this week with a marble birthday cake and it was divine. So I made it again for a huge family celebration. I made peach cupcakes with fresh summer peaches and it went so well with the frosting. I used girardelli white chocolate baking bar. This was the smoothest, silkest, yummiest frosting ever! Everyone RAVED about it at the party. I have never had so many compliments. Thank you – this will be my go to frosting!

This is the second time I’ve attempted this frosting and both times as soon as I add the cooled white chocolate to the mixture and whip, I get small chunks of white chocolate that cannot be whipped out. I used Nestle’s baking bars both times… I don’t know if that’s the issue. But I have to throw it out :(

Oh, Nikki! I’m so sorry to hear that your frosting was a flop. :( Technically, Nestle’s baking bars are not actually considered to be white chocolate, because they do not contain any cocoa butter, but instead rely on partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil as a base to try to mimic the texture of real white chocolate. I suspect that is why you are having texture issues with the frosting. (I always use Baker’s brand white baking chocolate when making this recipe, but I have heard that Lindt, Guittard, and Ghiradelli baking bars work well also.) Just in case you are interested, Cooks Illustrated did a comprehensive comparison of real and “fake” white chocolate baking bars on the market, which could be helpful in deciding what to try next:
      I do hope that you try again. Good luck! :)

30. Susie Cupcake says

Oh my gosh my quest for perfect buttercream is finally over…THANK YOU SO MUCH this is beautiful. I was nervous about the cream overwhipping, or the chocolate seizing (eek the anguish of whether it’s just cool enough!), but it blended beautifully. Big thanks from the UK! I used this on an Eric Lanlard chocolate cupcake, adding 1tsp of orange essence to the recipe to make a chocolate orange cupcake, and ‘garnished’ with a piece of Terry’s Chocolate Orange. Happy happy!

31. Tasha says

I’ve been looking for a recipe to use for a cake I want to make for my partners birthday, and this one looks to be not too daunting (I’m a novice when it comes to anything baking related). Would you say that it will be the right consistency for icing the sides and top of a cake? Also, just how “white-chocolatey” is it? If that’s something that one can determine. :S

Hey Tasha! Great questions! Let’s start at the bottom of your list and work backwards, ‘kay? First, the white chocolate flavor is very discernible, and quite a nice change from the ordinary. However, if icing a layer cake, I would increase the amount of powdered sugar listed in the recipe, (as listed in the Notes at the bottom of the recipe,) to make a “decorator’s” consistency and give the frosting a little more “heft.” Upon thickening the consistency, some of the white chocolate flavor is lost, but for the most part I think it still carries through.

Now how Novice is novice? I try my best to include detailed directions and enough photos so as to (hopefully) take any intimidation out of the recipe. I honestly believe that anyone can do it! (Yes, even you!) *Provided* you follow the directions, and choose your ingredients carefully. For this recipe, that mean *absolutely* using top quality white chocolate baking bar, and not any bar with added wax or stabilizers (as are found in morsels, chips, and candy melts.) I always use Baker’s brand white baking chocolate, but other Readers have had success with Lindt and Ghiradelli brand bars.

You can totally do it. If you have a minute, browse the comments on this post for other troubleshooting ideas, as there has been quite a bit of dialogue. If you still aren’t sure, try this recipe instead:

Good luck! :)

• Tasha says

I usually stick to savoury. I’ve made some mousse, meringues and things like that before, but the majority of my cake-like attempts haven’t been, shall we say, accurate. I tend to think it’s more that I need to practice and find some great recipes. That, and learn to decorate better than a five-year-old. 😛

Roughly how much more powdered sugar would you suggest, and I should add it at the beginning, right? I’m down here in Australia, and I’m 99.9% sure powdered sugar is the same thing as pure icing sugar. I was going to use a Cadbury Dream bar, just because from memory the partner likes it, but now I’m not so sure.

Having read through the instructions a few times, I can say that I’m pretty sure I can handle the processes, although I’d rather steer clear of the microwave. I can never get my chocolate to melt right with that thing. Would a stand mixer w/paddle attachment do instead if a hand mixer? It seems as though I’m trying to change everything, doesn’t it?

I’ll take a look at the comments right now.

If you’ve done mousse & meringue, you can certainly handle this recipe. If you aren’t averse to melting chocolate in a double boiler, then by all means use one! I usually end up somehow splashing water in the chocolate and seizing it, so I stick with the microwave. Also, you absolutely may use a stand mixer. I use one most often, but on the day I photographed this recipe, I was in the midst of a baking marathon, so I grabbed the hand mixer. Either will work.

Icing sugar = powdered sugar = confectioner’s sugar. I usually add about 2 additional cups of powdered sugar to make a stiffer frosting. Just add 1/2 cup at a time until you get the right consistency for your climate. (Plan on 4-5 cups total, to be safe.) Icing a chilled or frozen cake helps the icing to adhere better. Be sure to refrigerate the iced cake until about 30 minutes before you serve it, if possible.

• Tasha says

Ah, okay. Just to clarify, all the sugar goes in with the butter at the start, rather than some at the start, then more that the end to adjust? Also, will the same mix be fine for in between the layers?

I’ve heard of freezing the cakes beforehand, which makes so much sense, but for how long?

So many questions!

I would make the frosting as written, so gradually add the initial 2 1/2 cups to the butter at the start, and then when you’ve completed the rest of the recipe, add the additional sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until you get the right consistency. You want the frosting stiff enough that if you stick a butter knife eon end in the middle of the bowl, and then shake the bowl a bit from side to side, that the knife with move from side to side, but not fall to the edge of the bowl. Also, blend in the additional sugar on low to medium-low speed so that you don;’t wind up with large amounts of air bubbles, which will show up in the frosting.

The same frosting should be used between the layers. I usually tightly wrap completely cooled cakes in plastic wrap, and freeze them overnight before decorating. Honestly, I’ve made/frozen the cakes up to a week (or more) ahead of time, and they’ve been just fine. They are much easier to handle without worrying about the layers breaking/cracking when you work with them, and they give off less crumbs to get in the frosting. Let the cake stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or so before you start to ice them. (Usually the time it takes to make the frosting,)

I did a brief tutorial on frosting layer cakes, here:

Also, the nice folks at Wilton also do a fine tutorial:

Tasha–you *must* come back and tell me how this all worked out for you! :)

32. Jessica says

I cannot wait to make this. I mean really, I can’t. I told my sister about this recipe and she told me I had to put it on her birthday cake. =) I am a baker at the heart, really there’s nothing I’d rather do than to decorate cakes for a living (I have gone to school for this), but as for now, I’m a cashier at the grocery store. Anyway, I’ll be sure to let you know how this turns out, since my sister eats EVERYTHING I make at home.

Yay, Jessica! I hope that you (and your sister) love it as much as we do. I look forward to hearing all about it. Here’s hoping you are able to follow your passion and decorate cakes for a living, one day. :)

My best friend’s birthday was this last Tuesday (I know I know, I said I would put it on my SISTER’s birthday cake, haven’t made it yet. I’m waiting until she feels better to make hers) and her favorite cake is red velvet, so that’s what I made, but in cupcake form. But I mentioned this recipe but told her I was putting cream cheese frosting on hers… and she jokingly mentioned having both. So I made both. Both were your recipes, because they are amazing. Anyway, so I made this buttercream, just like I said I would. I am forever sold on this recipe and will use it for the rest of my life. I hated store-brand frosting anyway, These cupcakes were little bites of heaven thanks to this recipe as well as the cream cheese frosting. Thank you so much for posting this, because I am forever grateful to you. =)

However, I did find that i prefer to use the double boiler method of melting my chocolate. It might just be my microwave, but my chocolate siezed up when I did it that way, but did not when I used the stove. Also, it is very difficult to find decent white chocolate in my area to use for this, but eventually i found it.

• comfortablydomestic says

Hooray, Jessica! You just made my day! SO glad to hear about your frosting successes. Hopefully, your sister will get to sample your wares very soon. Kudos to you for using a double boiler to melt your chocolate. *My* chocolate usually seizes when I do it that way because somehow I invariably get a drop of water/condensation in the chocolate. Whatever works, right?

33. Julia says

HI, I just bought the brand VALOR white chocolate drops to melt for my recepi, because I can find no other brand here in the Dominican Republic. Let me know if I can make it with this chocolate.

Hi Julia! I’m not familiar with Valor brand, so I can’t give you a definite answer to your question. I will say that the “drops” part of your description makes me nervous. To me, “drops” sound as if the chocolate should maintain it’s shape in the oven, much like “chips” or “morsels” will when baking a cookie. If that is that case, the white chocolate likely contains wax, and will not smoothly incorporate into the rest of the ingredients for this recipe. When wax is present, you’ll end up with little hard bits of it in the frosting. A good quality white chocolate baking bar is really best.

• Julia says

Thanks for your respond: The box of the chocolate says , specially for melting and pastrymaking. Its made from natural cacao and no other greases added. Here is the link of the chocolate.
        Its the one in the back that says : GOTAS

Resposteria is pastrymaking.

34. Chatch says

The frosting looks delicious. Would it be too rich on top of devils food cupcakes? Also, is it really 2 whole sticks of butter to yield 2 1/2 cups of frosting!? Ouch! :)

• comfortablydomestic says

Ha! Creamy decadence comes with a buttery price tag! :) No, I don’t find this frosting to be too rich on top of devils food cupcakes. In fact, I often use it for chocolate cakes because the flavor of the frosting is so light and subtle as not to overwhelm.

I’m sorry that happened to you, Amy. Did you follow the recipe exactly as written/demonstrated in this post? If so, without knowing specifically which ingredients were used on your end, I’m really not sure why this didn’t turn out for you. My first trouble shooting would be to check the type of white chocolate and heavy whipping cream that was used. The white chocolate must be high quality, and not contain any wax to hold it together (as found in chips, morsels, and candy melt wafers.) Also, the heavy whipping cream should be pasteurized, not “raw,” and the unsalted butter should be pure butter, and not a blend or margarine. All ingredients should be at room temperature before beginning. Best of luck! :)

35. Amy Crum says

I want to frost my cupcakes with chocolate but the toppers I want to put on them need to be on light colored frosting to show up correctly. So started my seach for a white chocolate.. Being not a big chocolate eater, so I have no clue… will this frosting taste like regular chocolate frostings?

I have paired this frosting with EVERYTHING! Keylime cupcakes, peach cupcakes, chocolate cupcakes, yellow cupcakes, strawberry cupcakes, and angelfood cupcakes. It is AWESOME and literally goes with everything. And I’ll be pairing it with pumpkin cupcakes for Thanksgiving! :-)

37. amy says

How early can I make the frosting and let it sit in the fridge before use? I will use on a Saturday. I just want to make sure I have enough time to make it again if I mess it up the first time. = )

38. Amy says

This afternoon I made a pan of dark chocolate brownies, and wanted something different and spectacular with which to frost them – so of course, I thought of this divine white chocolate buttercream. But I was also feeling a little Christmas-y, so ultimately decided to make one tiny alteration to the recipe as written: I used pure peppermint extract instead of vanilla. It is THE BOMB! White chocolate peppermint buttercream?? Are you hearing this, people? Ah-maz-ing! :)

39. Heaven says

This looks incredible. However I’m planning on using it on sugar cookies, then topping them with nuts and dried fruit. So I’d like something not as thick, more along the lines of an icing than a frosting. Should I follow the recipe for the thinner version?

Good question, Heaven. You could easily follow the recipe for the thinner version to put a thin layer of frosting on the cookies, but it will still be more of a buttercream consistency. I’ve not tried to make it any thinner, as you would for a glaze.

40. Gabby says

I’ve made your recipe several times this month and I absolutely love it. I used Lindt white chocolate the first few times and had no trouble. I decided to try Ghirardelli white chocolate and got it in chip form. BAD decision on my part haha. It didn’t melt well and it clogged up my piping tip with chunks. Just a heads up to other people making this recipe. Otherwise thank you very very much love the recipe!!

Ha ha Gabby! I laugh only because I tried using white chips when developing the recipe, and encountered the same problem. Glad you’re here to back me up! I’m not just being a nag about the type of ingredients–it really makes a difference. :)

41. Holly says

Hi! I just wanted to thank you for this recipe, I used it today. I couldn’t find any white chocolate except the chips, so I opted for a Hershey’s Cookies & Cream Bar. I used 7 oz of that, and it came out perfect! The little chocolate crunchies added a nice crunch in the icing, I made it with a chocolate cake so it came out delicious, and the consistency was perfect.. Just wanted to report that! :)

42. frr says

hey!i will try this one out tonight for a surprise party for my best friend!!!she loves buttercream but not the ones that are all i was wondering if with the chocolate and the whipped cream the buttery taste would fade.. and another question,i want to make some rossettes,like flowers,is it stiff enough to do something like that?thank you and have a great week!!

The combined whipped cream/white chocolate flavors are at the forefront of this frosting, with the butter flavor taking on more of a supporting role. Preparing the buttercream as written give a creamy and light texture, but the Notes section of the recipe contains instructions to stiffen the texture for piping rosettes or other decorative touches. You’re very sweet to make a cake for your best friend. I hope that she loves it! :)

43. Tonya says

I made this frosting for a birthday cake last year, and i have never used another. I love it and so did everyone else:)

44. Liz says

I was curious as to the colour of this frosting. I was looking for something pure white to go on my Valentine’s Day cupcakes under the chocolate dipped strawberry. However, I expect that it isn’t pure white with the butter and all, but if it is close and would provide a stark enough contrast between the chocolate dipped strawberries and the icing, I would gladly make the switch. And perhaps not put any white cross hatching on the strawberries themselves. I’m not entirely sure how using shortening would adversely affect the recipe.

45. Renee says

I’m in Australia and am a litle curious about the amounts used with the different metric system. What does the ‘C’ stand for when referring to amount in the ingredients list??

46. Andrea says

Question: You say to let the chocolate completely cool, but if it’s cooled off then won’t it harden? How cool is “cool”?

Nice question, Andrea! The melted white chocolate must cool to room temperature before using it in the recipe; meaning that if you pick up the bowl, it should no longer feel hot or even warm to the touch. Stir the cooled white chocolate before blending it into the recipe.

At the point of cooling to room temperature, the white chocolate will still be a liquid and pourable–it will only set up again after being left at room temperature for an extended period of time.

47. Yvette Rivera says

Hi! Just found this recipe and your blog, so pumped!! I am attempting to make cupcakes for my 2 boys birthday this weekend and this sounds like a great frosting flavor for what I am thinking. But I would love your input. I am making French vanilla and triple chocolate cupcakes. The frosting will be tinted yellow to go with he theme. This recipe will go okay with the cupcake favors I am making, right? And, I soul like to fill my cupcakes but I have never done this before. What kind of filling would you use? I could just use this frosting right? But would it be too much in regards to flavor? Maybe crushed Oreos added to the frosting for the filling?? I don’t know….and should the filling be tinted yellow as well? Help, I am so lost! The theme is batman and I have black and yellow cupcake liners and toppers. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Yvette.

LOVE your ideas, Yvette! I think the white chocolate buttercream would go beautifully with vanilla/triple chocolate cupcakes. This buttercream works will as a filling, but with what you are planning, I think it might be a little too much to use both as a filling and topping. If I were to fill them, I’d use a fruit jam, but that might not go with your theme, so you could try pudding instead? I wouldn’t dye the filling to match the cupcakes, that way it stands out on its own. This may be kind of time consuming, but you could skip the filling altogether, crush the Oreos, and use a bat stencil over the frosting, filling the bat shaped stencil with the Oreos. OK, that might end in a big mess, but I wanted to give you another idea. You could also tint the frosting two colors, and swirl them together when piping it on before adding the toppers.Birthdays are a huge deal in our house, too so now you have me thinking! Also, in my experience with colored cupcake wrappers, the colors tend to fade once the cakes are baked. When I want the liner colors to really pop, I bake the cakes in plain wrappers, and then set the baked/finished cupcakes into the decorative wrappers for serving. Happy Birthday to your boys! Have fun!

48. Lisa Giroir says

Hi! I absolutely love this recipe and can’t tell you how many others I’ve passed it on to. I’m making it for cupcakes this time and was wondering about how many I could ice with one batch, roughly. Thanks for coming up with this GREAT recipe!

How cool, Lisa! I’m glad my buttercream is such a hit! As far as icing cupcakes goes, if you’re going to spread a thin layer of icing with a knife, then you could definitely ice two dozen cupcakes. If you’re planning to thicken the frosting a bit to ice them with a pastry bag and decorator tip, then I’d plan on it stretching to cover between 12 to 16 cupcakes, depending on the design. Have fun!

49. Joyce says

Although I’m a decent cook, baking cakes has never been my forte. My luck changed with your white chocolate icing recipe. It was simply the best I or anyone in my family has ever tasted. I was lucky with the white chocolate. I used Ghirardelli’s white bar chocolate and it melted down perfectly. One thing I improvised with is that for the filling between layers, I set aside some of the icing and then mixed it with freshly whipped heavy cream. It was to die for. I’ll be making it from now until further notice for all family birthdays. Thank you so much!

Unfortunately no, Joshua. Although I haven’t tried it myself, the chemical makeup of whipped topping is vastly different than heavy whipping cream and as such, it will not perform the same functions as the cream. I wouldn’t recommend using whipped topping.

50. j schmidt says

This frosting was Yummy!!! I used the Lindt white chocolate bars. They weren’t baking bars. And found them in the actual candy section of the store. (4.4oz, so I had to get two obviously). I used about 1 and 2/3 of the second bar. As for the powdered sugar and consistency, I used 3 cups and got a great fluffiness to the frosting. I didn’t pipe it, it seemed to soft for that and I actually used some red coloring drops to get a soft pink color. I spread it over a raspberry flavored cake and it was the perfect chocolate complement to the raspberry flavor. Delicious. I will absolutely be using this recipe again. Thank you.

51. Morgan says

I just found your site when googling white chocolate frosting recipes. I can’t wait to try this frosting recipe on a strawberry cake I’m making for my son’s birthday! I’m so excited to have found your site and I just have to say that from the reviews I’ve read, I think it’s really awesome that you seem to answer every reader’s questions. PS. I’m starting to homeschool my 4 little ones and the fact that you’re able to do it all while homeschooling is an inspiration!

Hooray, Morgan! You made my day, Friend! I can tell you from experience that this frosting is fantastic on strawberry cake. Congratulations on deciding to homeschool your littles. My biggest adjustment was carving out a little time each day for me, but once I included myself on the never-ending To Do List of a homeschool mom of four, things got much easier. The laundry suffers, but the rest of us are happy. 😉 Good luck! I’d love to hear what you thought of the frosting.

• Morgan says

It’s been a couple of weeks but I’ve been wanting to let you know that the frosting was a huge hit at our home and it was just the thing I needed for the cake I made -it’s definitely going to be one of my go-to frostings :)!!! The kids and the hubs wanted to eat all the leftover frosting by itself haha. I can’t wait to try out your other recipes! Thanks a million!

52. Michelle Woodhead says

Fantastic. I added full fat cream cheese instead of double/heavy cream, and its really beautiful … Soft, fluffy and white. Thank you

53. Rosemary Morrison says

Hi, thank you for your recipe. I am attempting my son’s wedding cake and his future wife loves cocnut. Is this frosting suitable and will it stand at room temperature? I also need to incorporate a coconut flavour. Do you have any ideas for me. I am beginning to panic. Thanks Rose

You are so welcome, Rosemary! As far as the wedding cake goes, ack!! So much pressure for such an important cake! Congratulations on your son getting married. I think it is very sweet that you’d like to try a coconut variation for your future DIL. You could try substituting coconut extract for the vanilla extract, and maybe even increase the amount to 1/2 tsp. I would practice well ahead of time to see if the coconut flavor comes through the white chocolate–I think the flavors should be pretty complimentary. Several Readers have commented and emailed to tell me that they used this frosting for wedding cakes with great success.

I’m not sure what the heat/humidity are where you are, but both will effect your cake. If you are planning to keep it in a climate controlled environment (air conditioned room) then I would keep the cake refrigerated until an hour or two before serving, depending on the size of the cake. I suggest using the best quality ingredients possible, following the directions for a “decorator’s consistency” frosting to give it more body, and definitely baking a smaller “mock up” of the cake ahead of time under conditions similar to what you expect on the wedding day. Leave your mock up out for several hours and see what you think. If you think of it, please let me know how it all worked out. :)

54. Michele says

I am making this frosting for a (cupcake) wedding in early May on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. The weather here can be very touchy, so I am wondering how well this will hold up in any kind of heat and humidity-hard to predict here. I love the taste of this frosting!! I tried making a half recipe with half butter and half shortening, 1st attempt was with Hi ratio shortening, 2nd attempt with Crisco, and each time, the white chocolate seemed to get chunky, and stick to the side of the bowl and get lumpy. I used a high quality chocolate-Merckens white chocolate, and I don’t understand what happened. Never had this problem when using only unsalted butter. Do you think by just adding more confectioners sugar, that it will hold up better? Would love any comments.

Hi Michele! Geez, heat over 70 degrees and any kind of humidity make me nervous with any type of buttercream. I can’t tell from your comment if you’re planning a cake for an outdoor wedding? Provided that the frosting is made as written, add more powdered sugar to make the stiffer decorator’s consistency version, let the frosted cake stand until the icing crusts well on the cake, and then keep the iced cake refrigerated until the last possible second, you might be OK to have it sit outdoors for a few hours in the shade if it is less than 80 degrees. High humidity is not a friend of buttercream, so you’d have to use your best judgement with that one. I wish I could give you a more definitive answer. :)

As for the clumping…what type of Merckens white chocolate did you use? I ask because to my knowledge, Merckens white chocolate candy melts contain some form of wax, which would cause the clumping that you described when adding them to this recipe, whereas the baking bars do not. As far as substituting shortening goes, I haven’t I tried to substitute it for part of the butter, so I’ve never had the clumping experience with the white chocolate. However, with what I know of the ingredients, I can say this: Shortening is 100% fat, whereas butter is 80% fat, so they behave differently in recipes. Shortening is a hydrogenated fat, meaning hydrogen atoms are whipped into the structure to provide stability and help it retain its structure. Once hydrogenated, the shortening fats will not blend cohesively with another liquid–kind of like oil and water, or in this case, the melted white chocolate. I’m guessing that the shortening was part of the problem.

55. Emzie says

Can you please let me know what C. means in your ingredient list? Is it cups? Wanted to be sure so I can convert to metric if necessary. Thanks

56. Emma says

Hey! I’ve tried your frosting with lemon flavored vanilla cupcakes and it turned out amazingly delicious! 😛 For my birthday I’m doing a six layered rainbow cake (Yey!) I’m doing it in and out with this frosting and i was wondering if I should double,triple or quadruple or (you get the idea) the recipe..At first i thought i would do a dose and then another one and another one…but then i decided it would be easier to just ask ^^ So yeah, what do you think?

Good question, Emma! As you know, this recipe makes enough to thinly frost a 9-inch layer cake. In order to know how many batches you should need, I need to know how many batches of cake you intend to make for your rainbow cake? When I’ve made a rainbow cake in the past, I’ve doubled my usually cake recipe, and tripled the white chocolate buttercream to ensure that I had enough to fill between the six thinner layers of cake. If you are planning to make a different amount of cake, please let me know and we’ll see what we can come up with for the amount of buttercream.:)

57. Katherine says

Hi! I was wondering just how sweet this icing is I was planning on putting it on a basic white cake or chocolate cake. I am worried about it being too sweet if. Mix it as the decorator icing with the extra sugar.

Hmmm…well Katherine, “too sweet” is kind of subjective when it comes to buttercream frostings. I’m not a big fan of super-sweet frosting like those that dress most bakery cakes. I can tell you that everyone that I’ve served this icing comments on how it isn’t “too sweet,” regardless of which consistency I make it. I think White Chocolate Buttercream pairs delightfully with vanilla and chocolate cakes. Best of luck to you! :)

I agree! I am forever indebted to you and your blog for this fabulous recipe. This has been my “go to” frosting since I discovered it last year. I’ve made it many, many times and everyone loves it. Often people say they love this frosting when they normally don’t like cupcakes because the frosting is usually “too sweet.” I think it is the perfect amount of sweetness.

Thanks so much, Erica! I couldn’t agree more. I’m not a huge fan of frosting because it is almost always too sweet, which is why I only post the ones that I love here on the blog. I’m so glad the recipe has found its way into your regular baking rotation. :)

58. Katarina says

I made this frosting today, and it is by far the best frosting I ever made! Love it! A bit tricky to convert it to metric ( I live in Sweden) but thanks to the internet I was able to make it! I put it on a chocolate cake, with rasberry layers and piped the frosting on top and around! 😀

Yay! I’m so glad to hear it. The raspberry layers with chocolate cake are a perfect compliment to the White Chocolate Buttercream. I *promise* to get a conversion chart up on the blog very soon for my International Friends. Thanks for the reminder, Katarina!

59. Sharon says

This is the BEST frosting I have ever tasted! I added half of a vanilla bean, and the consistency is that of meringue. The shiny, fluffy, and complex flavors are excellent!

60. Akay says

Your recipe sounds delicious!!! I was looking for a white buttercream frosting that wasn’t too sweet and was lucky to have found your recipe! I am thinking of making a chocolate cake for my daughter’s birthday and was wondering if I could add raspberries to the recipe and use it as both frosting and filling. What concerns me is would I be able to sustain the consistency if I add the raspberries to the frosting? I am thinking of tinting and decorating the top of the cake. Thanks!

White Chocolate Buttercream is fantastic with red raspberries and chocolate cake! As far as whether adding them to the buttercream to use as a filling and having it hold up, I can’t say for sure. You could add the berries to only the frosting needed to fill the cake, and tint the remaining for decorating. If it were me, I would keep the buttercream as is and add an even layer of raspberries over the middle layer of frosting for a filling. That way, you get all the flavor, and the whole berries would look more dramatic when cutting into the cake. Either way, the berries will add moisture, so I’d be careful not to add too much so you can avoid a soggy cake. I hope this helps! I’d love to hear what you ended up doing, Akay.

• Akay says

Thank you soooo much for the recipe and the tips!!! I mixed the frosting with the raspberries for the filling and tinted the outside with light pink. It turned out beautiful and delicious!!! :)

61. kristie says

I LOVED this recipe! I am not a cake fan and I HATE frosting, especially buttercream. I made dark chocolate cupcakes with this frosting and oreo crumbles on top-so good and not too sweet.I now know that I like homemade (by me) buttercream frosting! I will be making this again for my daughters first birthday. I think I will make vanilla or chocolate cake with strawberry mousse filling and this frosting. Thanks again!

I’m so happy to hear it, Kristie! :) White Chocolate Buttercream is by far my favorite way to top just about any flavor of cake, because it is not too sweet. My favorite chocolate and vanilla cake recipes are posted, if you’re looking for one for your daughter’s birthday party.

62. Sheri says

How would this frosting work under fondant? I am making a layered cake for my daughters 1st birthday and I was looking for a white chocolate buttercream instead of just plain buttercream to crumb coat the cake.

Works like a charm! Just make the thicker decorator version, and you’ll be fine. I also refrigerate my crumb coated cakes for a few hours prior to applying fondant, which seems to help considerably with the fondant adhering to the cake.

63. Suzie says

I’ve made this frosting twice in the last month! I haven’t really baked before, but I stumbled across this recipe and I’m so glad I did! The first time I made a four layer cake (vanilla, rose water, raspberry and red violet) and used the frosting between each layer and right around the whole cake (I made double quantities and had little left over). It was for my friend at work who was leaving to have a little girl, hence the various shades of pink.

I then used this frosting (double quantities again because it was quite a large cake) to make a Cinderella dolly varden cake for my friends daughters 3rd birthday. I tinted a portion of it blue and used that as the dress, then used the white frosting to pipe stars on the dress and all around the bottom edge. This frosting is SO versatile! I did ruin one batch, however, possibly because I over beat the butter in an attempt to make the frosting more white so that the blue would stay blue and not turquoise, but the consistency was so wrong, I just threw it out, followed the recipe and just ignored the slightly green tint of her dress!

So I just had to share that with you, because I’m so grateful I found this recipe. But I also wanted to ask if you could use milk or dark chocolate for this recipe too? I have “bake off” at work next week, and with my newly acquired baking skills, I’m looking for that extra wow! Possibly jam filled cupcakes with this frosting tinted pink (it’s a breast cancer fundraiser)??

THANK YOU!!!

Hooray! I’m so glad to hear of your success, Suzie! Sounds as if you are a Cake Maven in the making. The pink ombre cake sounds both beautiful and tasty. You can most certainly use milk or dark chocolates in this recipe–provided you follow the same chocolate rules (no wax, no chips/morsels) as in this recipe. In fact, I’ve also developed a recipe for Milk Chocolate Buttercream:

As far as a filled cupcake goes, this recipe is one of my favorites, and a real crowd pleaser:

Good luck in the bake-off at work! I’d love to hear how you did. :)

• Mark Brooks says

Since the recipe calls for whipping cream, would I need to refrigerate the cake? Guess my real question is: if I cover a wedding cake, would it need to be refrigerated prior to delivery and how long could it safely sit out before serving? THanks!

Hi Mark! Sorry for the long delay in my reply! Yes, since the frosting calls for whipping cream, I usually refrigerated the completed cake until a few hours before serving. I would definitely refrigerate a wedding cake covered in white chocolate buttercream prior to delivery so that the frosting is firm for transport. I’ve had many readers use this recipe for wedding cakes in a variety of climates with great success. As for myself, I have covered large, tiered cakes with this frosting, refrigerated them prior to transport, and have had the cakes on display in an air-conditioned facility for between 5 to 6 hours before serving. That said, the more heat and humidity in your area, the less time the cake should sit out. I recommend making the recipe according to the stiffer decorator’s consistency for any tiered cake. Best of luck to you! :)

• Nanny Fran Blaikie says

could you add cream cheese to this recipe. This sounds absolutely delicious and I will make it. I now know how to have success with the melted chocolate. Thank you so much. Love and hugs, Nanny Fran. I always make my frostings in bulk and leave them in my fridge. Usually I put cream cheese as well as white chocolate and butter in it. Also I sometimes add some corn syrup and a can of store bought frosting to make it extra creamy. This is delicious but yours looks like it might be the “bomb” and
      I am going to be trying your method. Thank you for the help. Love and hugs, Nanny Fran.

64. Lucy says

I am making a butterfly rainbow cake for my daughters 3rd birthday and am planning to use this icing. I just have one question, can I use food colouring to colour the icing for the butterfly detail or will it destroy the flavour?

Good question, Lucy! Yes, you can color the frosting, provided you make it exactly as the recipe is written. Using white chocolate morsels or melts will result in waxy polka dots in the frosting, which will not hold color. In my opinion, food coloring leaves an aftertaste when used in quantities needed to achieve deep, rich colors. I would suggest using high quality gel colors for tinting your frosting. I use Americolor brand colors (available on Amazon,) because they blend beautifully, with minimal coloring required. Americolor also tends not to distort the flavor of the buttercream due to their quality, and because less is needed to achieve good color. That said, if you are choosing red as part of your rainbow, I’d go with Americolor No Taste Red. Reds are the worst for leaving an aftertaste, but the No Taste Red is a little better. Good luck! :)

65. Sally says

Hi, just wondering what is the grams equivalent of your ingredients? Also, what is heavy whipping cream? Is it like dollop cream, or just regular thickened cream, or even a specific cream for icing?

66. jessica says

I used this recipe for my first ever batch of frosting and it was amazing! Easy to follow instructions and the picures helped heaps. We have one very happy birthday girl. Also it dyed really well. I split it in half and did some pink and some purple. Double the quantities iced a cake inside and out and 20 cupcakes.

67. Jamie says

This frosting really is amazing!!! YUM! I had an ice cream cone birthday party theme for my son’s 1st birthday and I made a chocolate espresso cake with this as the frosting (tinted light blue). I added a layer of chocolate ganache and had it dripping over the sides. On top, I shaped a chocolate muffin to look like ice cream and placed a waffle cone over top. Then, I coated just the muffin and cone with Magic Shell and sprinkles. I got the idea from Pinterest and another blog, but I didn’t like the recipes they were using. This frosting recipe turned out perfect and I will definitely be using it in the future!!!

68. Renate says

Frosting came out light and fluffy as expected, but terribly sweet. I’ve put really really thin layer on my cake, but that sugar flavour was still overpowering. I will definitely avoid this kind of frosting in future. Anyway thank you for the recipe!

• Erica says

You may want to give this frosting another try with different chocolate? I’ve made it many, many times and one of the comments I get over and over again is that people love it because it isn’t overly sweet. In fact, people who have told me they don’t normally like cupcakes because the frosting is too sweet have raved about this frosting. Of course, everyone’s tastes are different, though.

69. Stacy says

I love this recipe! I’ve made it a dozen times. I have repeat customers because of it. I need help today though. I’ve read through some of the comments but not all so I apologize if its already been covered. I’m doing a wedding cake this week. The temps have been upper 80’s – low 90’s. I made up the frosting a couple days ago. I brought it out if the fridge to get it warmed up to work with but it’s too soft. I hate to keep adding sugar. Thought about more chocolate. I’m stumped. I have 4 batches made already. Also how should I keep it cool without getting the ‘sweat beads’ from refrigerating the frosted cake?

Oh, my. 80s-90s degree temps are tough on any type of frosting! In this situation, adding more white chocolate would make the frosting even softer, which you are obviously trying to avoid. Since you’ve already make the frosting, I think your only recourse is to add more powdered sugar to stiffen it up. Had you not made it yet, I would have suggested substituting an equal amount of vegetable shortening for half of the butter–to add stability, plus a 1/4 tsp. of butter extract–to balance the flavor.
      In my experience, with White Chocolate Buttercream in the heat, I’ve always iced the cakes and kept them refrigerated until about an hour before serving. I’ve never noticed any weeping or sweat beads on the surface. With temps in the 90s, I don’t think you can avoid refrigeration to preserve the frosting from melting in the heat.

I hope this helps Stacy! Good luck!

70. Yvette Rivera says

Hi! I am a repeat customer, have made this in the past and everyone loved it!! But one question, when I made it the color came out to like a off white, this time I am making baseball cupcakes so I want it to be more of a bright white. How would I achieve this bright white color with this recipe??? Oh and I have to make these cupcakes tomorrow so I hope to hear from you.

71. ShanaazK says

I was just wondering what white chocolate do you use? Is Cadbury white chocolate good enough?

Hi there! I almost always use Baker’s brand white baking chocolate because it (thus far) has been safe from peanut & tree nuts, and doesn’t contain any wax or stabilizers that will leave chunky bits in the frosting. I’ve not tried using a Cadbury white chocolate bar, but so long as it is free of wax or stabilizers, it should be OK to use.

72. SarahB says

I’m so excited about this recipe! My daughter’s second birthday is coming up, and he wants a Despicable Me cake. I happened to stumble upon this recipe for frosting and we’re definitely going to use it! Thank you!

73. Colleen Brown says

Does this set up like a crusting buttercream on cakes so it can be smoothed to a flawless flat finish?

When prepared according to the “decorator’s consistency” directions included in the recipe, the frosting will crust to be smoothed to a flat finish. Bear in mind that, as a buttercream, it will never crust or be as stiff as frosting made with shortening. The frosting is quite sweet when made for piping details. Also, the some of the white chocolate flavor is lost when the frosting is made too stiff.

74. Karen says

Delicious. I halved the recipe for Tye-dye cupcakes. My son who doesn’t like vanilla loves the white chocolate.

I’ve tried your recipe twice and found the taste splendid however I am having a few problems…

1. I used baking chocolate (Nestle to be specific) and on both occasions I got the little balls of white chocolate in the cream. My friends don’t seem to mind it though.. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong with this part though hehe.
    2. I recently made this again but this time the buttercream hardened (more than just crusting) within a couple hours!

I’m a total newbie when it comes to making buttercream and hope you can provide any tips! :)

Hi Anna! So excited to hear that you like my White Chocolate Buttercream! Thank you for detailing the issues that you’ve had when making the recipe. Here are my thoughts:

1. I suspect that your problems lie with the type of chocolate you are using. Nestle Premier White Baking Bars contain hydrogenated palm oil. Hydrogenated fats are designed to maintain their shape, so I suspect it is these fats in your baking bars that are not completely breaking down when you melt them. The hydrogenated fats can also be causing the frosting to “solidify” as you described.

If you’d like to know more about the white chocolate end of this, Cook’s Illustrated has a great article comparing different types of white chocolate baking bars and their properties:

2. Or, perhaps maybe the melted white chocolate is too cold when its being incorporated into the buttercream? The melted white chocolate should be cool to the touch, but still flow freely when poured. If the melted white chocolate begins to solidify again, then it has cooled too much and should be melted again.

3. Are all of your other ingredients at room temperature before you make the frosting? Specifically, if the cream is cold from the refrigerator when added to the buttercream, it will cause the softened butter and melted white chocolate to solidify due to the temperature differences. This could be contributing to the “bits” of white chocolate in your frosting. (Wax found in white chocolate bark, candy melts, or morsels will also result in hard bits of white chocolate in the icing.)

As a general rule, when making buttercream and cakes, I find I get the best results when all of the ingredients are at room temperature before I begin.

4. Are you sifting your powdered sugar before adding it to the recipe? Or at least aerating it with a whisk before measuring it for the recipe? Over-crusting can happen from too much powdered sugar.

I would love to hear back from you, especially after trying the White Chocolate Buttercream again! :)

76. Misha says

Oh my…. this buttercream is absolutely heavenly!! I made the mistake my first time around using white chocolate chips out of desperation as I was in a time crunch. Upon application of the cake, which was pretty cold, it hardened a bit. It did taste wonderful and ended up working out in my favor as this white chocolate strawberry cake was for a picnic and out in the heat. It held up quite nicely! But my oh my, when using the good chocolate, it creates a beautiful whipped and light buttercream which you can’t help but eat straight from the bowl!

Thanks for the beautiful recipe!

77. Jennifer says

To drop the fat content I used 18% sour cream instead of 35% heavy cream. The sour cream worked just fine and it made the icing a little less sweet. I used it on a chocolate banana bundt cake. It truly is the only icing you ever need to make. When I make it next time I will use the 35% heavy cream as it is for a party and not us over 60 folks that are trying to cut back on the amount of fat we eat.

Well Di, that depends. I refrigerate frosted cakes and cupcakes when it is warm or humid because the heat and humidity have a habit of melting frosting. When it’s 70 degrees or less, I leave the frosted cakes at room temperature, but for no more than a day or two.

Absolutely! When I use White Chocolate Buttercream under fondant, I make it per the instructions for decorator’s consistency, frost the cake, allow the frosting to crust, and then chill the cake for several hours to set the frosting before applying the fondant.

78. Holly says

I am making cupcakes as favors for my friend’s bridal shower this weekend, and would love to use this frosting! They will be sitting out the night before, and for most of the morning, will the frosting hold up? I’ll be using a 1M tip to frost, is the medium consitancy sturdy enough to keep it’s shape, or should I add more powdered sugar? I just want to be sure that white chocolate flavor comes through! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

Hi, Holly! This frosting will definitely stand up overnight, but I would recommend refrigerating the iced cupcakes until the following day–especially if it is hot and/or humid where you are living–that way, they will firm up in the fridge before sitting out the next day. At the very least, store them is a cool part of the house. You could add more powdered sugar, as for the “decorator’s icing” directions, but you do lose some of the white chocolate flavor. I prefer to make it softer, and just refrigerate the night before serving. :)

79. Liz says

This truly is the best frosting I’ve had! So good we even used it on our wedding cake (white cake with seedless raspberry jam filling, this frosting and a marshmallow fondant on top). Yum!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Thank you, Liz! I can’t think of a higher praise than using my White Chocolate Buttercream on your wedding cake! True story: Bacon Slayer and I just celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary, and I made a replica of a tier of our wedding cake–which was filled with seedless raspberry jam, and iced with White Chocolate Buttercream! Congratulations on your marriage. :)

80. Charissa says

Omg this was the best . I made a white chocolate cake with this frosting. This one will be add in my recipes . Thanks

Thanks so much for this! I used it in the inside of a wedding cake that I recently made and have had the most wonderful comments on how lovely it was. The cake was a chocolate mud cake and I layered the inside with your icing and with fresh strawberries then the outside was chocolate ganache the effect was wonderful when cut into!

82. Kati says

Couldn’t find Bakers brand white chocolate at my store (only milk and German). Not sure what would be considered the wax or stabilizer ingredient in bars versus chips because the Guittard white chip ingredients were (I think) the same as the Bakers bar. Is it always safer to just go with a bar to avoid a way frosting? Or do certrain bars also have wax? I wanted to bulk order some Milka bars on Amazon because of their good price, and I’ve always loved Milka’s flavor. Objections?

Hi, Kati! I’m sorry that you couldn’t find the Baker’s brand white chocolate baking bars. You should be safe using another white chocolate bar designed for baking. I know others have had good results with Ghiradelli and Lindt brand bars. As for the Guittard chips, any chocolate in chip or morsel form has a wax stabilizer so as the retain shape in the oven. I would not recommend using any brand of white chocolate chips or candy melts. As for the Milka white chocolate bars–based on the ingredient list that I was able to pull up online, it didn’t appear as if they contain wax. I would be inclined to try them in this recipe to see what happens. That said, ingredients could have changed, and not having developed the recipe with Milka, I can’t say for certain that Milka would give the same creamy results that I get with the Baker’s bars. I hope this helps! :)

P.S. If you try the recipe using Milka bars, I’d love to hear how it turned out.

83. demi says

I tried making buttercream with white chocolate, but the moment i added my melted chocolate in the buttecream, chococalte turned solid and entire frosting turned course. Is there anything i might have done wrong?

My first inclination is to think that the melted white chocolate wasn’t completely cool to the touch before you added it to the buttercream. Good quality white chocolate (not chips, candy melts, or morsels) should remain a pourable liquid for some time after it cools, before hardening to a solid again. I say give it another shot. :)

84. Margo says

I am a seasoned home baker but have never been happy with vanilla icings. This is the best recipe I’ve ever tried. I did add about an ounce of cream cheese too just for fun. Plus I think my new KitchenAid stand mixer really makes a difference in texture. The texture is light and fluffy almost like fresh whipped cream.

Wow, Margo! That’s high praise! Thanks so much for the feedback. The light and fluffy texture of white chocolate buttercream is definitely why this is my go-to vanilla frosting. I am totally loving the idea of adding just a smidge of cream cheese. Great idea!

My mistake, Neil. When made as outlined for the softer consistency frosting, the recipe yields about 3 cups of buttercream. When made according to the directions for a stiffer decorator’s frosting, the recipe will yield more depending on how much additional confectioner’s sugar is added. I’ve updated the recipe accordingly. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

85. Lia says

I cannot use prepared white chocolate due to my family’s soy allergies. Do you think your recipe would work with straight cocoa butter?

86. Iri says

I usually don’t like buttercream but for my sons b-day cake he wanted something with white chocolate. After a bit of googling and dismissing alot of recipes i decided i just needed to settle and pick a recipe. Because yours had cream I decided this would just have to do. Boy am I glad I did! It’s fluffy and perfect in consistency, aaaaaand it just tasted AWESOME! I kept picking up spoonfulls of it and “dropping” it into my mouth.
    Just right amount of sweet and the white chocolate disguises the butter flavor quite well.
    This is my go-to recipe now!

87. Rob says

I’ve just made this frosting for a 3-layer birthday cake, and i must say it’s the best frosting i’ve ever had! i’m sure my guests are gonna love the cake tomorrow :), thank you!

88. Sasha says

Hi, I want to make this to go under a fondant ruffle christening cake…… Once I put this buttercream on and it firms, how long can I keep it out of the refrigerator with fondant on it?

Ie. 1 day to decorate and 1 day at event….as I didn’t think fondant decorated cake can be put in fridge.

Provided that the weather cooperates (read: it’s not too hot or humid where you live) the cake should be fine. You are correct in that fondant should not be refrigerated. I would definitely follow the instructions for the Decorator’s Consistency, and keep your cake in the coolest place possible in your house in between decorating stages.

89. Susannah says

Wow. This was absolutely divine, thank you for this recipe! I used it for my daughter’s birthday cake and now need another excuse so that I can make it again. Yum!

90. Audrianna H. says

Hi Kirsten! I just had to let you know that this recipe is my go-to for any flavor of buttercream! I used to use Wilton’s recipe because that’s what I was taught by my grandmother when I was learning to bake and decorate, but I hated how gross and over-sweet it was, as well as SO greasy! I am (was!) definitely a person that would my cake around the icing…

But this one? YUM! Light and fluffy, and just the right amount of sweetness. I’ve actually taken it and added thinned out blueberry preserves in place of white chocolate to fill a lemon cake, among other substitutions, and it comes out just perfect every time from birthdays to ‘just because’ cupcakes to a friend’s wedding cake. I am so incredibly happy I stumbled across it looking for Cream Cheese frosting (which, incidentally, is also amazing)! I’ll be using it yet again to fill and decorate my daughter’s birthday cake for Thanksgiving (she turned one on Nov. 7th, but we’re celebrating on TG). I’m so excited – if only because I get to sneak a spoonful – or two! – when I’m putting it together!

Hooray! Hooray! Hooray! I’m thrilled that you so enjoy my white chocolate buttercream recipe so much, Audrianna! The recipe is just so versatile. I LOVE the idea of blending it with fruit to fill a cake. I’m honored that you’ve chosen my recipe to be a part of so many important occasions. Thanks so much for the feedback, doll! I’m so glad that you found my little website. :)

Good question, Olivia! I can’t say for sure without having trying it myself, but my gut tells me that adding 50% more butter without also increasing the amount of powdered sugar would change the texture of the frosting, and perhaps render it too greasy.

91. Red says

Hello! Thank you so much for sharing this! I have a question, though. I wanted to make tennis cupcakes for my dad’s 60th birthday and I thought I should use this recipe for the frosting. What if, I want to make the color of the frosting green? Should I just use a green colored chocolate instead? Or can I use a green food coloring? (Liquid based? Paste? Or oil?) Also, when should I add in the food coloring? I know that’s a lot of question, but thank you so much in advance!

Hello,What brand of white chocolate do you use. The only one that I can find is Bakers and Giradelli White baking chocolate.

93. christine anderson says

how well will this hold up for sitting out for a cupcake tower for wedding? Will be in air condition. Wanting to try it on fresh strawberry cupcakes.

I’ve had several readers make the thicker version of this frosting for wedding cakes and cupcakes. All of them came back to tell me that the frosting held up just fine in an air conditioned environment. White Chocolate Buttercream will be fantastic on fresh strawberry cupcakes!

I tried your recipe for a cake, one that was due this morning.
    I did everything step according to your advice.
    And…I do not like this frosting recipe.
    You said it would “crust”…it didn’t.
    You said it would hold up to HOT days if you thickened it…It didn’t.
    I chose this recipe over the others I found because I believed in it.
    I read it…looked over it…compared it to others and I was convinced it was the best choice.
    Tasty yes…yummy, creamy and not to sweet. Flavor wise its wonderful.
    Consistency and stability…no.
    I will give the recipe of the benefit of doubt and say it was my first try and even go as far as to say that I missed something. And are still willing to give it one more try.
    Normally I do not give reviews, but when someone labels their recipe as “The best ever” or “The Only Frosting You Will Ever Need”…a review must be written or at the very comments of the experience must be given.
    I like everything about your blog, I like your writing, I think what you have created here is good and hope you keep at it.

I wouldn’t call this a bad review, and instead consider it a bad first impression.

Thank you.

PS, my cake even with fragile frosting was a hit.

Oh, Jennalyn! I’m really sorry that your first impression wasn’t as you expected. I’m convinced that crying toddlers can bring even the strongest of people to their knees. I’ve had literally hundreds of positive reviews of this particular recipe–many of which were used for wedding cakes in warmer climates. Based on your comments, I’m guessing that the frosting needed to be a bit thicker in order to crust. Powdered sugar can be a fussy beast to measure–so much depends on climate, storage, and measurement technique. I’m also wondering if you applied the frosting to a frozen cake and kept it in the refrigerator until 30 minutes prior to serving, as suggested? Most frosting becomes fragile in a “HOT” environment–especially buttercream. Again, I’m sorry that your first impression wasn’t what you’d hoped. I wish I were there to help, offer up a hug, or entertain a crying toddler for you. I do hope that you try again. :)

…A bad first impression of the recipe.
    Sorry I’ve been up for hours and have a really long week, not just with cakes, but also with a crying toddler.

96. Jane groeneveld says

I have for three weeks tried to come up with a frosting that goes with a chocolate cake, now I have found it this is perfect, fondant is great and clean lines but didn’t fit with the cake. Thank you a huge dilemma solved

97. Susan says

Fantastic frosting. Wonderful flavor. However, do you know if this is safe to leave out after frosting? It does call for some qhipping cream. I know sugar acts as a perservative.

98. Danger Pudding says

Thanks for the awesome recipe!!! I caramelized the white chocolate first, and while i didn’t get that part perfect, the lovely texture of your frosting recipe made up for it. I subtracted a half cup of sugar like you said for sandwich cookie fillings, and put them on banana whoopie pies. I’m entering them in a cooking contest next month, and everyone who tasted them says they’re terrific! :)
    I do have one question, however. I didn’t make enough cookie halves to use up all this frosting, so I put it in the fridge and now it’s solid like butter. Will it soften up when it gets back up to room temperature? I snuck a spoonful and it just tastes like solid butter right now.

• Kirsten says

Yes. Once the frosting comes to room temperature, it should be soft. Give it a good stir once it softens before using it again.