Ridiculously Excited

Pardon me while I get a little domestic on you. This is Comfortably Domestic, after all. I am so ridiculously excited about two recent acquisitions, that I couldn’t help but share them here. But first let’s take a trip down memory lane.

A few weeks back, I shared my personal purgatory with you. I begged for someone to please, make it stop.

Remember my laundry pile, day 3? Day 3 being the day that the laundry declares mutiny and refuses to be confined to the hamper? Yeah, the laundry is my own personal purgatory. Blech! With 6 of us in the house each having play clothes, school clothes, sports clothes, and pajamas, it can get kind of hairy in a hurry.

Last week, I made a couple of impulse buys that will forever change my life. No, this time it wasn’t brightly colored nail polish. This time I bought things that actually have a real purpose.

Ta da! First, I bought new laundry hampers. While I like the asthetics of a hamper that keeps everything nicely contained, unfortunately the laundry in my life doesn’t abide by such rules. But these four hamper bags? They contain everything quite nicely.

I labeled each bin so that my family does the sorting for me. Not having to sort the clothes before washing has saved me literally *hours* each week. Son #2 saw the bins and started jumping up and down and shrieking like it was his birthday. “Mom! This is so much EASIER!”

Apparently, sorting clothes into 4 hampers as opposed to one scratches a little OCD itch for him.

But wait, there’s more! When I want to throw a load in the washer, all I do is grab a (hopefully) empty basket, and empty one of the hamper bags into it. Hooray!

The second life changing purchase was this:

The Shark Steamer Mop! My BFF Maggie told me how great hers was, so I had to see for myself. (The folks at Shark have no idea who I am, I assure you.)  As you can probably imagine, four little kiddos leave quite an imprint on my floors. A regular mop just wasn’t cuttin’ it, and I’ll leave the scrubbing the floor on my hands and knees Cinderella. The Shark steamer has revolutionalized how I clean my floor. By that, I mean that I am actually likely to wash the floor regularly because it’s so much faster and easier. The shark heats a small amount of water and releases steam through the washable pad. I just zip it across the floor, and the steam dissolves the stickies, and sanitizes at the same time. The best part is that the floor dries in seconds, so I don’t end up with little footprints on my wet floors.

It never fails that as soon as I tell everyone to stay off the floor until it dries, they are all suddenly starving or have to use the bathroom and walk on my wet floor. Weird. I think Pavlov studied this bizarre phenomena.

As an added bonus, I get a lot of volunteer help!

So forgive me for having to get all housewife on you, but I just had to share! I am always on the look out for things that make my life easier.

Do you have something that has changed your life? I’d love to hear about it!

Comments

Isn’t it funny how excited we can get about things that aren’t nail polish?

I completely understand the need for an organized hamper system. If my fiance and I didn’t each do our own laundry, you had better believe we’d have a hamper system on our hands.

I have a similar hamper, and I LOVE it! I am very intrigued by that mop though…I can’t STAND having a dirty floor, but I just don’t have time to mop it as often as I’d like anymore. This would save so much time. Does it clean as well as/better than a mop and bucket? You don’t need any soap?

If you answer yes to all those questions, I might have to work on convincing The Grump to let me get one…

I think the steamer cleans better than a mop and bucket. You don’t need soap because the steam melts away the yuck and sanitizes due to the high heat. A definite plus being that my baby spends a lot of time on the floor and prefers to eat on it rather than in his high chair. My only (minor) complaint is that the cord isn’t as long as I like, so I have to switch outlets a few times. Not a huge deal because it heats up in 30 seconds, and doesn’t cool off in the time it takes to switch outlets.

Tell The Grump that you have to have it!

looks right up my alley! I love organization too! :) And I have to say, simple as it may sound, something that has changed my (domestic) life is a magnetic knife strip in my kitchen…don’t know how i ever did without it. Knives are easily accesible, stay super sharp, and there’s none of that scary “knife drawer” business…Plus it makes me feel like a chef:)
    love,
    cathy b. @ brightbakes
    P.S. great posts!

4. Nana says

Brilliant!! You are so very clever! There goes the Christmas present (I know breaking rules of not gifting anything with a plug!)! You have come of age!

I cannot imagine doing laundry for 6! I don’t even want to do our household’s laundry for 2. ugh!
    Might have to try that Shark Mop. I feel like my floors have a layer of dirt that refuses to come up with regular cleaning methods. Thanks for the review!
    And good luck with the laundry! :)

I use sorting the laundry as a homeschool lesson for my little ones. Having them sort their own laundry is such a help. They also fold their own clothes. I think teaching them life skills is so important.

I also have the Shark. Love it!!! So I’ll back your review on this one.

Trackbacks