Sour cherry cordial frozen yogurt is riddled with dark chocolate shavings and a ribbon of marshmallow cream. Think of it as the lighter, sassier cousin of Cherry Garcia ice cream.
Raise your hand if you’re a fan of ice cream! Raise another hand if you love Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia?
((raises both hands))
I don’t know what it is about an ice cream with chunks of cherries and dark chocolate that makes my heart sing, but sing it does! Ben & Jerry have been doing ice cream right for a long time. With all of the ice cream lovers in this house, those pricey little B & J containers end up being less than a single serving. Since we’re such big fans of homemade ice cream around here, I keep two work bowls for the ice cream maker in the deep freeze at all times. I just never know when an ice cream craving will converge with the inspiration to concoct a fun new flavor, but when it does? I’m always at-the-ready!
The inspiration for this particular recipe is rooted in my friend Jenni’s Ice Cream Tuesdays series, a little friendly
obsession brainstorming centered around possible flavor combinations for homemade marshmallows, which lead to a tangent of how awesome adding different flavors of marshmallows to ice cream could be. Thus, Ice Cream Tuesdays’ Marshmallow Madness was born!
Thank goodness for food-obsessed friends! I’ve been looking for a reason to try my hand at improving Cherry Garcia at home. Don’t get me wrong! The Real Deal has it’s merits! I wanted to lighten things up a bit by making a frozen yogurt with a little more sass. A little more spunk. A little more local flavor.
I’d be lying if I said that after one bite straight out of the ice cream freezer, I wasn’t concerned about whether or not this frozen yogurt would even make it to the freezer. The bright tang imparted by the cherries was so refreshing that I almost didn’t add the marshmallow and chocolate pieces to the mix.
Almost. Sons #3 & 4 took their roles as Ice Cream Sous Chefs very seriously. Read: those boys were nipping-at-my-heels-adamant that we complete the vision. So complete the vision, we did!
Traverse City Sour Cherry Cordial Frozen Yogurt has the kind of sass stemming from the added pucker of locally grown tart cherries.
It’s perfectly balanced with a ribbon of marshmallow before being riddled with dark chocolate shavings. Think of it as a cherry cordial with spunk!
The kind of spunk found in a one-winged four year old that’ll snatch a bowl of frozen yogurt, hip check his older brother out of the way, and insist that he can be a “hand mod-doll” for photographs, too.
Just for fun, I’m linking up with the illustrious Jenni of Pastry Chef Online and a big group of fellow bloggers to celebrate Ice Cream Tuesdays’ Mallow Madness. Be sure to visit all of the deliciously creamy, marshmallowy offerings!
Traverse City Sour Cherry Cordial Frozen Yogurt from me!
- Strawberry Marshmallow Ice Cream from Donna of Cookistry
- Horchata Ice Cream with Mocha Mallow Swirl from Allison of Decadent Philistines Save the World
- Kahlua Marshmallows and Marshmallow Sauce from Betsy of Desserts Required
- No-Churn Coffee Amaretto Ice Cream with Almond Marshmallows from Stacy of Food Lust People Love
- Blackberry Cheesecake Swirl Ice Cream from Jeanne of Inside Nana Bread’s Head
- Princess Badass Ice Cream from Sophia of NY Foodgasm
- Strawberry Cheesecake Key Lime Marshmallow Ice Cream from Jenni of Pastry Chef Online
- Frozen Coconut S’mores Bars from Karyn of Pint Sized Baker
- Fudge-Topped Marshmallow Ice Cream from Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Strawberry Ice Cream with Marshmallow Swirl and Toasted Walnuts from Dionne of Try Anything Once