Friends, I’ve been baking like it’s my Job this week. So far, I’ve gone through 10 pounds of flour, 3 pounds of butter, and approximately 3 pounds of sugar. I’m pretty sure the Bacon Slayer might just stage a Flour Intervention if I don’t set down my rolling pin and step away from the oven.
I just can’t help myself! Thanksgiving brings out the Rabid Baker in me! Just in case you haven’t nailed down your pie choices for the upcoming holiday, I thought I’d share my:
Top 25 Pies That Must Be Made for Thanksgiving
First up, NanaBread’s Slab Apple Pie–warm, flaky, with a gooey cinnamon apple filling. No fuss over rolling perfect circles with the dough. No transferring the dough to a pie plate. Simply roll the dough on a baking sheet, fill and bake!
2. Sweet Potato Coconut Pie with Marshmallow Meringue by Mrs. Happy Homemaker. All the goodness of Sweet Potato Casserole + Coconut + Marshmallow Meringue = A Winner.
3. Fast & Easy Chocolate Pie by Amy Locurto/Living Locurto–it’s her Grandma Chunky’s recipe made with only four ingredients. You can’t beat that with a stick!
4. Brie and Pear Tart by Sommer/A Spicy Perspective–just look how beautiful this tart is! This part savory, part sweet tart is sure to please the fruit and cheese lovers in the crowd.
5. Blueberry and Peach Pie by Joy the Baker. If you haven’t yet met Joy, then you really need to make that happen. Everything Joy touches with butter, and sugar turns to gold. Add peaches and berries to the mix, and you really can’t go wrong. Her recipes are simple and foolproof–so much so that she has a sweet new cookbook full of ‘em!
6. Sweet Potato Pie with No-Roll Crust by my favorite BakeaholicMama, Carrie. She modified a Joy the Baker recipe for this little lovely.
7. No-Bake (Gluten Free) S’mores Pie by UrbanBaker. Chocolate, marshmallow, and graham crackers. Need I say more?
8. My Favorite Cherry Pie. I don’t care how many bazillion times I’ve made this pie, I still love every last bite.
9. Southern Brownie Pie by Jerri/SimplySweetHome.com. A classic, Southern style brownie pie.
10. Cheryl/TidyMom.net shares a vintage recipe for Upside Down Apple Pecan Pie. How fun is it to serve a pie upside down?! The whole idea just seems so…rebellious. Man! If pecans were legal edibles in my house, I would SO be baking this pie!
11. Here’s another pie I’d long to make if not for nut allergies– Paula/VanillaBeanBaker’s Maple Syrup Pie. Further proof that Paula is so much more than a kind-hearted gal and creative force behind fabulously decorated cookies. I’m just so intrigued by the idea of a maple syrup pie, that it’s killing me not to make it. (Pecans are included.) If you try it, please come back and tell me how awesome it is.
12. Meyer Lemon Meringue Pie by Barb/CreativeCulinary.com. Gorgeous meringue tops the classic lemon custard filling, and sits atop a lemon ginger cookie crust.
13. While not technically a pie, cheesecake is a mandatory staple on any self-respecting Thanksgiving Dessert Table. I can’t think of a better cheesecake than Brenda/A Farm Girl’s Dabbles Toffee Cheesecake with Chocolate Polka Dots. Creamy toffee-tinged cheesecake nestled in an espresso-chocolate crust, and hello! Polka Dots!
14. Texas Peach Pie from Bridget/Bakeat350. Because somewhere in my soul, this lifelong Northern Girl was a Southern Belle.
15. Again, not a pie, but would you just look at these Indian Corn Cookies from the hugely talented Callye/SweetSugarbelle? Girlfriend has fierce Royal Icing Skills. Fierce, I tell you!
16. Easiest Ever Rustic Apple Tart by Heather/SprinkleBakes. Simple. Rustic. Delicious.
17. Cranberry Crostata by Jen/MyKitchenAddition. Vibrant cranberry filling a pasta frolla crust. (Not a pasta crust! The crust is made with eggs instead of water.)
18. In case moderation is your dessert mantra, Blueberry Hand Pies by Julie/TheLittleKitchen.com. Julie is a master of letting nothing go to waste. These pies are super-simple and made from leftover pie dough.
19. Peach Raspberry Pie from Megan/Stetted.com, because peaches and raspberries were made for each other. Seeing as this is my third peach-related suggestion, methinks I have peaches on the brain.
20. Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Tart by Rosie/Sweetapolita. I’m not exaggerating when I say that I’ve been dreaming about this tart for a year, and have yet to make. This is SO going to happen…like really soon. Chocolate, caramel and salt are like the Trifecta of Bliss.
21. Chocolate Chess Pie by Teresa/BloomingonBainbridge.com. Teresa is a Southern Girl transplanted in the PacNorthwest, so you know girlfriend knows her way around a chess pie! This pie is adorable. Teresa’s adorable. Her two little puppers Doogan & Isabelle are adorable. Besides, I’m pretty sure Teresa likes pink even more than I do, so you can trust her.
22. Irish Cream and Chocolate Silk Pie by Megan/CountryCleaver. Everything about this pie screams YES!
23. Coconut Cream Pie by Michelle/BrownEyedBaker. In my humble opinion, the best coconut cream pies are made with big, unsweetened coconut shreds. Michelle uses just that in her pie.
24. Donut Bread Pudding Pie by Hayley/TheDomesticRebel, in which she exemplifies her fearless kitchen attitude by putting donut holes in a pie–and I love her for it.
Now what are you waiting for? Get in the kitchen and make some pie!
Wait. What’s that? There’s one more pie?
That’s right, Friends!
A BONUS PIE!
26. For the love of all that is good and right with the world, please save some leftover Thanksgiving turkey to action a REAL turkey pot pie.
I’ll start the new diet and fitness routine with you on Monday.
Happy Thanksgiving! :)