Meet Daisy Mae.

Meet my furry new daughter! Her name is Daisy Mae. Or just plain Daisy.  Or Sweet-Pea, Baby-Girl, or The Hound. She answers to just about everything because she’s just so dang happy to be here.

She loves us.

She’s part beagle, part coonhound, and part who-knows-what-else, and she’s all mine ours! Besides, it’s nice to have a little extra estrogen in the house–kind of balances out the order of things around here.

We love her. The boys are thrilled to “finally have a dog.” As if we were the last family on the planet not to have a pet–a fact that they couldn’t understand because they know that their Daddy & I are Dog People.

(L to R) Me, Kayla Marie a.k.a. “The Diva,” Noelle Marie a.k.a. “The Street Dog,” and the Bacon Slayer.

When The Bacon Slayer and I began dating, he had to win the approval of my Great Dane, Kayla. An arduous process that took all of 3 seconds. Dogs are excellent judges of character. Soon after we were engaged, we rescued Noelle, and just like that, we had 260 pounds o’ dog. However, during each of my first two pregnancies–Son #1 and Son #2, respectively–one of Our Girls crossed the Rainbow Bridge. We decided not to get another dog until our boys were older. I claimed that I wouldn’t clean up after a dog until I was done changing diapers.

A girl can only handle cleaning up so much poop at one time, right?

In the last decade or so of not having a dog, we discovered something interesting: I, being allergic to everything that grows or breathes, didn’t require nearly the amount of allergy medication to get through the day. Or any. At all. Ever.

Huh. Seems that I was more allergic to the dogs that I had initially thought. So the quest to Not Be Dog Owners became a health issue for me, and a Cause for the Bacon Slayer. Rats!

He was totally better at it than I was because while I still dabbled in periods of Dog Stalking on internet dog rescue websites, BS was steadfast in his assertion that we would not be getting a canine companion. While I would see a sweet, three-legged-blind-in-one-eye sweetie pie and insist that “she needs me,” BS was adamant that if we were to get a dog, she would not be A Project Dog. Because he’s all rational and stuff.

However, in the interest of Full Disclosure, I should mention that on many an occasion, the BS would visited a hound that I’d found online to see if she would be the Right Fit for our family. Invariably, the meetings raised 3 or 4 Red Flags about the dogs’ personality and/or behavior tendencies that  took all of them out of the running.

Until now. BS drove nearly 3 hours to meet sweet Daisy but it took mere seconds for him to be smitten with her. She’s sweet. She’s smart. She’s submissive. She’s a little mischievous. In other words–she’s perfect for us. So I will medicate myself and hope for the best. 😉

Don’t let Daisy’s innocent face fool you–I’ve already cleaned up a chewed-to-shreds wooden drumstick, caught her digging for chipmunks on the back hill, and witnessed her seemingly teleport from the ground up onto a 3 foot high raised garden bed with no effort at all. She’s a busy little pup.

But she’s potty trained, which is all I really care about. 😉

Comments

1. Bacon Slayer, The says

Daisy told me today that you made all that up about her being a little “mischievous” and stuff… And she says she wasn’t on the couch either while the boys were getting a bath… 😉

2. Not Inadequate says

I can’t believe you got a creature you are allergic too! Good luck, my friend – She sure is cute!

Oh, Kirsten! I feel like we now need to source a tutu for her or a headband with a flower attached or something! Also: Probably need daily snaps of her. Just saying.

I’ve always prided myself on thinking dog clothes were ridiculous if they served no function (like a parka.) But I must say that in this case, a little floral headband might just be in order. She’s a riot. Instagrams will no doubt follow.

4. Nicole Stibbs says

I am sooo very excited for you and I can’t wait to meet Daisy!!!! And have Daisy meet Dozer and the girls and the chickens!!!! Good job Kuberts!!!! Well done indeed!!!

Oh! Daisy meeting Dozer is a given, but I didn’t even think about her meeting the chickens! We’ll have to make sure they aren’t out roaming…just in case. I’d hate for her to catch one in front of the kids. 😉

I can’t even tell you how excited I am! I mean, not that I am COMPLETELY biased about the wonderfulness that comes wrapped in a coonhound package.
    The Husband is allergic to both critters in our house, but truth be told, I think he would be MORE miserable if we didn’t have at least one fleabag hanging out. When we just had Holden, TH would complain that “the damn cat keeps making me all stuffy.” And then I’d catch him with the cat smack dab next to him on the couch, being petted like he was a modern day Egyptian god (I’m pretty sure Holden would be appalled to know he’s actually NOT a modern day Egyptian god). Long story short, animals in the house > allergies.
    Just make sure that if TH asks, Zooey absolutely did not sleep on the bed every night while he was gone.
    Welcome, Daisy! You’re a cutie pie!!!! Smooches from me and drooly kisses from Zooey (who also told me to tell you guys that turkey necks are a delicious treat and that Daisy should try them)!

• Allison @ Decadent Philistines Save the World says

Haha! No cooking. I give Zooey raw turkey necks (I just cut them into smaller chunks – it’s an excuse to use the cleaver).
        OK, yes, I do cook things for my dog, and she is spoiled because I give her sweet potatoes and apples and sometimes kefir or olive oil in her food. But you know…. She’s my fur-baby! :)
        The last picture is my favorite thus far. I was considering printing it to put on the fridge with all the recent birth announcements. Then I realized that I’m weird.

6. bakeaholicmama says

YAY!! Daisy is quite the cute pup! Our lab… or beast of a lab I should say is 117lbs and the biggest dog I have ever owned… is getting up there in age and we are thinking of dog #2…Hubs wants to get a Great Dane and the boys want a Sheppard. Why can’t I talk them into a cute little hound like Daisy?!?!

Trackbacks